S&W Service...

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

S&W Service...

Post by Baldy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 pm

I had a weird thing happen to my daughters S&W 1911. The sear spring broke where it goes into the slot. She was having troubles with it the other night at our league shoot. I brought it home and when I pulled the main spring housing a little piece of metal fell out, and it was the end of the sear spring. Never in my day have I seen one break like that. I disassembled the whole pistol and that was all I could fine wrong. Wear points all look normal. :shock:

Have any of you folks ever have one do that? This old pistol has well over 10,000rds through it and this is only the 2nd minor problem with it. :lol:

I called S&W to get a new spring and the youngman is sending me one no charge. THANK YOU S&W.. :D

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Bullseye is th 1911 man, I'm sure he'll chime in with a response.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:14 am

Sounds like S&W's CS is still pretty good. When I used them a few years ago, they seemed to want you to send the firearm back. Guess sending a sear spring for free is cheaper than them paying the freight two ways. Sure never seemed like they were running CS as a profit center.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:45 pm

greener wrote:Sounds like S&W's CS is still pretty good. When I used them a few years ago, they seemed to want you to send the firearm back. Guess sending a sear spring for free is cheaper than them paying the freight two ways. Sure never seemed like they were running CS as a profit center.
Oh they still will not send out the main parts like extractors, hammers, and sears. They say they have to be fitted at the factory. They have lawyered up over the years, and made it tough on the local smiths and customers. I never try to mess with the fire control group anyways. I'll take this one down to my gunsmith and let him set the spring tension. :)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:48 am

Sounds to me like a defective part. Broken leaf springs are no big deal, I just bend up a new one and go with it.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:20 pm

:lol: Well I'll let my gunsmith do the bending there Bullseye. I admire you guys with the talent to work on these pistols. I know just about enough to get in trouble and that's it. I can deep clean one but I never fool around with the sear, sear springs or hammer cut. :D

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

I put that spring in tonight as it was already bent. All the safty checks passed OK. I'll take it to the range tomorrow and give it a run trough. :)

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:37 am

Sounds good. I'm surprised the trigger pull weight was good without adjustment.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:56 pm

They do come with a standard bend but typically need some adjustment on the tines for the sear and trigger.

R,
Bullseye

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Bullseye wrote:They do come with a standard bend but typically need some adjustment on the tines for the sear and trigger.

R,
Bullseye
I am surprised as it works fine and the trigger pull is about the same as it has always been. The only 1911 I have had adjusted is my Kimber range pistol which breaks at a even 2lbs. Just guessing but I would say this one's pull would be about 41/2lbs to 5lbs maybe. The only things I have ever changed is springs. The daughter will be glad to get it back as she has a steel match coming up and that's the only pistol she will use. :lol: