Ruger P-89 Armourers Manual

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger P-89 Armourers Manual

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 pm

I have a Project Ruger P-89 Reciever & parts kit in the works & being I've never had one before & only feild stripped one in the past for someone else I am in the look for any/all knowledge on them for the upcoming project..
Looking for info on this Pistol is not like looking for MKII or 10/22 knowledge, There's nothing out there except for the Parts Diagram Picture in the Ruger Owners Manual..
Anyone with something to share please do..
Thanks in advance!!
Gary - [email protected]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:14 pm

I have it some where but can not locate it at the moment. But http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm is where I got it from because Ruger's forum did not have what I was looking for.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:57 pm

I knew about steve's pages but there's nothing there but the PDF of the Factory Ruger Manual.. It's exploded diagram is a start..
I had a guy @ The Ruger Forum suggest "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part 1 Automatic Pistols" by JB Wood
I ordered it online for $10 & it should be here by Thursday next week..
I don't have the parts or receiver yet anyhow..
If you have a Armorer's manual or some other info available blue68f100 please give me a shout..
Thanks!!
Gary - [email protected]

RUGER P-89 Exploded View

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:54 am

Ruger P-89 Disassembly Picture Manual
WARNING If You Don't Have the Propper Skills To Try Any Of This Then You Should Seek Out A Qualified Gunsmith
Do This Of Your Own Risk..
Safety Glasses Should Also Be used as a Few of The Parts are Under Spring Tension & Could Fly Away & Cause Injury To Your Eyes

I am taking the time to make this manual because I couldn't find any information On The P- Series Rugers when I started my "Project P-89"
Maybe in the Future this can help someone else out..
Enjoy!!
Gary

***Safety First** Check Breach For Live Ammo
Check Magazine For Ammo, On the Ruger You Will Need The Magazine To Push The Ejector Back Up After Reassembly
Push Down Ejector
Pull Slide Back Slightly & Pull Out Slide Relese Rever
Remove Slide
Remove LH Grip Screw
Remove RH Grip Screw, Push Slide Release Lever Back In So Frame Will Lay Flat
Remove Grips by Reaching Inside The Magazine Well & Pushing Them Out
Magazine Catch
Remove Magazine Catch
Remove Magazine Catch
RH Magazine Catch Removed
Remove LH Magazine Catch
Remove Magazine Catch Spring by Lifting Up Back & Out Threw Magazine Well
Mainspring Plunger Cap, With Hammer in The Not Cock Position Press the Cap onto your workbench hard while pressing out the pin then release SLOWLY
Removed Mainspring Plunger, Mainspring, & Hammer Strut
Ejector Assembly
Pushing Out Ejector Pin, Capture the Spring when you remove the Punch it's under some preasure
Ejector Assembly, Ejector Spring & Ejector Pin Removed
Sear Blocking Lever
Sear Pin
Pushing Out Sear Pin From Frame
Sear, Sear Spring & Pin Removed
Blocking Lever
Pushing Out Blocking Lever Pin From Frame
Blocking Lever Pin Removed
Hammer Pivot Pin
Removing Hammer Pivot Pin & Lift Hammer Forward Down Then Up to Remove
Hammer & Pivot Pin Removed
Trigger & Trigger Bar
Lifting Slide Stop Lever Retaining Spring
Removing Slide Stop Lever
Removing Trigger & Trigger Bar
Driving Out Spring Retainer into frame, Use 1/16" Punch
Spring Retainer Removed
Trigger Return Spring Plunger Plug
Removing Springs & Plug
Springs Retainer & Trigger Return Spring Plunger Removed
Tools Used To Strip Frame
Parts Removed In Container As Not To Lose Anything
Slide Assembly
Removing Recoil Rod & Spring
Remove Barrel
Levering Out Extractor Toward Ejection Port While Levering Toward The Muzzle
Remove Extractor
Remove RH Side safety Lever, NOTE: Detent & Spring At The Bottom Cover With Finger While Removing Or It Might Fly Away
RH Safety Removed, NOTE: Detent & Spring Under It
Turn LH Safety Down 90 Degrees
Capture Firing Pin & Return Spring While Removing Safety Lever
Removing Safety & Firing Pin
Slide Parts Removed
Loosten Rear Sight Allen Set Screw, Turn Counter Clockwise 5/64" Allen Wrench or Hex Bit
Allen Screw Removed
Driving Out rear Sight To The Right, NOTE: Brass End On My Push Tool as Not To Mark Up Sight
As You Remove The Sight NOTE: Firing Pin Safety Spring & Plunger, These Can Easily Be Lost

Slide Stripped Except For Front Sight Assembly, The Front Sight Removal Requires That You Drive Out Both 1/16" Roll Pins With A Roll Pin Punch & Then Either Use A Vise Or Vise Grips To Pull The Sight Out Or Tap Slightly With a Brass Punch
When Reinstalling RH Safety You Must Depress The Dentent & Spring as You Push It Into Place
When Installing The Extractor I Found Using a Wooden Dowel Threw the Barrel Hole In The Front Of The Slide The Easiest, Tap Lightly on the Dowel with a Small Hammer Till It Pops Back Into Place
Checking Firing Pin Protudtion By Pushing on The Firing Pin From The Rear While Pushing The Firing Pin Safety Plunger, You Can Also Check The Firing Pin Safety This Way By Pushing The Firing Pin In as Far as It will go then depress the firing pin safety plunger & it should then allow the firing pin to move forward into the breach face..

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:50 am

Very Nice post, I see a lot of time and care went into making that P-89 detailed stripping post.

If you create a new topic in the Technical Forum I'll copy and paste this disassembly procedure and make it a sticky in that forum. Just add the text "place procedure here" in the posting and I'll take care of the rest. I'm asking you to start a new topic so your user name appears on the post header.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:02 pm

I started a new thread over in the technical section Bullseye & added the diagram & a small amount of info..
BTW The "Project P-89" came out great..
I used some Aluminum Silica Ceramic Coating on the frame & baked twice to harden it..

Here's two pics with the Uncle Mikes Grips..
Scored a set of Hogues yesterday for it.. Pics to come.. Thanks Flash!!

I also cut the metal magazine floorplate down so it doesn't protrude forward & cold blued, Cut the right hand magazine release button down to allow it not to rub my middle finger while holding right handed, also cold blued that part, Plus filled the sight dots with Ceramic Bath tub paint, & added a Modified P-95 Trigger which has a better reach & shape plus it's solid & has better pre travel & over travel.. I'm very happy with that Modification.. It requires that a slot be cut in the middle for the barrel link as the P-95 doesn't have a barrel link..
I still need a couple more magazines & have some of those coming from Al @ the Ruger Forum..
Also I saw four KP18/15 stainless magazines new in the package yesterday for $20ea & being the best price I seen online was $26ea @ Bud's Gunshop..
I'll buy these later at the next RK/Kenny Woods Gunshow, Gotta save some money being The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot & Worlds LARGEST Military Gunshow starts this next Friday-Sunday & is 10 miles away from here.. I live six blocks from Churchill Downs in Louisville..
KCR is in West Point KY on the way towards Fort Knox..

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Your finished project looks very nice.

R,
Bullseye

HEADKNOCKER
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by HEADKNOCKER » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Looks even better now with the Hogue grips that I scored yesterday via friend at the Ruger Form Flash!!
Got a couple discontinued P18/15 LEO magazines coming with another deal too..
I saw four KP18/15 magazines yesterday new in the package for $20ea but passed on them for now being I need to save some dough for the Machine Gun Shoot this next weekend..

"Project P-89" Wearing Hogue Grips!! Thanks to Flash!!