Plinking

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 am

Nice idea. You could pre-cut a round hole in a fresh cardboard backer to start off. That would standardize your target a little bit. Also if you use a shorter tether string the ball will oscillate for a shorter time before being shooter ready again. I'd duct tape the string to the backer and just leave a few inches free.

R,
Bullseye

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:08 am

I stapled to the wooden target hanger, I've found that a short string gets torn off while a long string will swing before reaching the tear-off point.

I was replicating a steel target (from an LA area range, of all places!) that had a different color plate hanging behind a large steel circle's bullseye. It made an audible and visibly different impact when you scored a bullseye.

For a cobbled-together rig, I think it was a winner, I might look into putting together a more standard one next time, I have about a dozen tennis balls in the trunk waiting for surgery, perhaps three balls on a board? Maybe I'll bulk one way up for an easier target, or hang two in one slot.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah, you're right about the string length. I had forgotten how much energy those tennis balls absorb when hit. I can see the longer string taking more of a beating than a shorter one.

R,
Bullseye