look alike guns???

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

look alike guns???

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:10 am

I saw a write up on a new pistol from the desert eagle poeple at magnum Research (owned now by Kahr Arms) .... they call it the "baby eagle FA"

here it is http://www.magnumresearch.com/Baby_Eagle.asp

Now the first pistol I bought for myself was a Smith and Wesson "SW99"
its a good shooter, not a fine tuned 1911 but a good egonomic pistol that feels good in the hand and was one of the first of the polymer pistols with the now en vouge "replaceable backstraps" Smith and Wesson did not design the pistol but "adopted it" with a few changes when they got the import rights/ partnership deal with Walther.

the walther p99 is the gun smith adopted http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y
so the SW99 and the P99 look very simalar., they are after all fraternal twins or "clones" I bought the smith because it was the same gun at $200 less at the time.

Now I see the new Baby Eagle from Magnum research and I see a new clone of the walther.... whats up with that?

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 am

I would say there may be a patent law infrigment in the makings. It is a nice looking pistol. 8)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:01 am

The P99 has been adapted by other makers for a while.

The S&W99 was a Walther-built lower with a S&W built upper, there's an eastern european maker putting out direct clones, Magnum "research" recently started putting their stamp on the P99 (not sure if it is a licensed copy or just a rebadge)

There has been snickering about this over on waltherforums for quite a while, actually.

The problem is that Walther makes a superb product, and them has S&W market it in the US. Since S&W isn't interested in competing with their own stuff, they don't move much Walther volume, although they do support the US buyers fairly well from what I've heard.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:16 am

I'm all about walther quality I love my smith and walther sw99 and my ppk is a joy to shoot (when I can find 380) I was just suprised about the look alike magnum research is putting out.... I think I saw a sig p226 look alike when I was watching that show "top shot " on the history chanel too.....

greener

Post by greener » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 pm

They do look a bit alike. Kahr seems to be committed to quality.

I had a high opinion of Walthers until I got a P22. Fun shooter, but not exactly made to the highest quality standards.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:28 pm

The p22 and pk380 are Umarex abominations ... don't blame the real Walther in the Ulm facility.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 am

I actually like the P22, it is what it is.... its a plinker that is relatively inexpensive that is fun to shoot and is relatively accurate, a decent gun to start someone with or a lightweight back pack gun, not a target piece to be sure......but it is fun to shoot. the pk380 I have not shot, but thet seem OK, not sure if the slide is Zinc like the p22, and I have not looked into reliability issues others have had with it. they are not "classic" walthers for sure but they sure aren't hi points or jennings either

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:19 am

Oh, I like my P22, I also know what it is. I let mine get dirty and nasty and it becomes a great malfunction trainer for my PPS.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

P22 is like the Sig Mosquito. Poor design from a class-act company. I don't understand Walther or Sig-Sauer staining their reputations with these fine paperweights.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Didn't mean to start a P22 bash. The P22 is a 3/4 scale P99 in shape, so it might be a practice gun.

We are excluding the 1911 market. They all look pretty much the same.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so making a look-alike gun is a compliment. I guess the classic in look alike is Taurus. They have the old Beretta machinery.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 am

I just thought it was odd to see a "new gun" that is jusr another company's design from over 10 years ago

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Nice looking guns. Although I like my PM-9, it weighs a little less. Here's a picture:
but here's my fav pic of it:
H
a
k
a