Kahr PM40, H&K USP

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Kahr PM40, H&K USP

Post by greener » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:05 am

Chatted about firearms with a shooter yesterday and ended up shooting two of his pistols.

He was breaking in a Kahr PM40. "They" said it needed 250 rounds for break in. The size isn't bad for concealed carry. This one is smaller than some of the small 9mm I've seen. If I were looking for a smallish semi-auto for CC, I'd rather have the PM40. The trigger was long and a bit heavy, as you would expect for a defensive weapon. The sights were easy to see. The pistol functioned flawlessly and the recoil wasn't bad. POI was pretty much POA for 5 rounds at 8-9 yards.

The H&K USP (.45) has been around quite a while, I guess. Good feel, good fit for me. Sights were easy to see and acquire the target. Trigger was in the 4-lb range but didn't break as crisply as my Taurus 1911. It was loaded with "old" hollow point ammo and jammed twice, once with me and once with the owner. Nice pistol. Not sure I'd want to spring the extra bucks for it. POI was POA at 8-9 yards.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:25 am

I had lots of opportunities to shoot the H&K USP in .45 ACP but it was the MK23 version. I really shot that pistol well but it just didn't feel right to me, perhaps I was just spoiled with the 1911 style framed pistols I was accustomed to using for match shooting. It was kind of funny that the MK23 reminded me a lot of a Desert Eagle in the overall size and feel of the pistol. I guess that's why I never picked up one of my own for a personal weapon.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:30 pm

the kahrs are nice pistols. I would describe the trigger pull as "revolver like" a lot of cops carry them as a back up. A friend has the CW40 the next size up from the pm40 I think, she loves it. I have not shot it but for their "value line" gun it is put together quite well. I think they have a 380acp now too that looks intriguing.....

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:40 pm

I believe it was H&K that had a model that you could submerge in salt water for days and bury in the sand and it would function well. Thought that was nice, but I had no plans to re-enact Normandy or Iwo Jima.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:15 pm

I believe it was H&K that had a model that you could submerge in salt water for days and bury in the sand and it would function well. Thought that was nice, but I had no plans to re-enact Normandy or Iwo Jima.
My dad fought in Iwo Jima when they stormed the beach. Fortunately, he wasn't in the first few waves of soldiers that went in. I don't think we have to worry too much about submerging a CC gun in saltwater or sand, but if we did, the hk would be a good choice. I personally own a PM-9 and love it. It has been reliable and "easy to shoot accurately", even for me :oops: . I believe a gun usually is a good shooter if it has a nice trigger/pull. Kahr's has a wide trigger, physically, and a "smooth", but firm, trigger pull without any surprises. I have never shot an H&K, but sure can give a thumbs up to the Kahr.
thanks,
Haka

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:17 pm

concur with Bullseye on the HK's feel. If you're accustomed to the 1911 feel, it just feels wrong.

the Kahr's I've played with would rate a solid b to b+ on feel, size and concealability. D- to F on triggers. the triggers felt like I was trying to drag 2 chunks of rough concrete across each other (big chunks). I've no doubt they could be smoothed up with a lot of stone work and spring replacement, but the ones I played with had had neither done.

If I were ever to replace my 1911 carry guns with something else, I may go the kahr route, with a lot of trigger work. But I doubt that will ever happen, it's not broke-I'm not gonna try to fix it. When fed a diet of my long line loads they have never failed to be 100% reliable.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:46 pm

I may go the kahr route, with a lot of trigger work.
That is surprising to me. I haven't done any work on my Kahr and it's got one of the nicest trigger pulls I have seen on a carry gun. I haven't got a lot of experience in these matters, but I have shot a glock 17, 19, 34, and it's trigger beats them, well, IMO anyway. To each his own.
Here's a website : http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_st0808.html
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:38 pm

If you are used to tuned 1911 guns with 3.5# triggers then yes the Kahr is long and not as crisp as you are used to. but if you usually shoot a revolver you will love it, kind of like para's LDA 1911 Its a great DA trigger but if you like the SA 1911 you will hate it. the kahrs I've played with have had good triggers for what they are intended for