Guns on "Cops"

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Guns on "Cops"

Post by teejay » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm

I must admit I love watching "COPS," and similar programs (as you can tell, I have way too much time on my hands) . I like looking at what the bad guys use. Unless they've stolen something good, it's usually a Jennings or some other cheapo. I am surprised when they have a Smith or Beretta. Of course they often use AKs and even SKSs, sometimes a chopped up shot gun. Most often they have a 22, 25, or .380, and there's occasional 9mm, etc. I've even seen some little inner city ethnic type using a Ruger Standard.
The Cops use 9mm or perhaps a .40 (usually Glocks). They rarely use revolvers anymore. One can see a Stainless model now and then. Last night I was sufficiently surprised to see a Cop drawing a Springfield Mil Spec exactly like mine on a guy hiding behind some bushes. It was it's brother right down to the rosewood grips. Why don't Cops use .45s more often? I assume, because of all the different guns I see them using, that they are allowed to pick there service weapon. I know, despite the small mag capacity, I'd use a 1911. What would my fellow posters use? TJ

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Mostly because of mag capacity is why they don't use 1911's. Plus Glock is almost giving the guns to the different agency's, and the city fathers like that. I hear our State Patrol may be going to the Glock .45. They couldn't get the public to buy them so they are selling them to police outfits. :shock:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:53 am

Most departments issue guns to the cops and they usually have a choice of full size or compact (ie glock 17/22 or the 19/23) they do it for "magazine interchangeability" so if I run out my buddy can toss me one of his mags. (in theory, that is as a glock 23 mag is an inch too short for a glock 22). the department then only has to teach 1 manual of arms and send someone to 1 armorer's school. in a county near me a wealthy family donated the $$ to buy all the guns for all the cops in the county so they would all be carrying the same....(when they switched from revolvers to bottom feeders)

some of the big departments, like chicago, LA, or new york, have an "approved list" and the each cop buys their own gun.

Very few allow use of the 1911 or other SA guns, the bean counters are afraid of the perceived liability of a cocked hammer... :roll:

a lot of depts go with the glock because of an easy manual of arms, and it is easy to teach anyone to use them (yes there are some cops who only shoot when they have to qualify, they have the "if the dept isn't going to pay me to practice and buy me ammo why should I" attitude, or they just plain do not care.

most places carry the 40s&w, a few the 9mm(border patrol beretta 92fs), very few the 357sig (texas DPS), and the good ol' 45acp (Anchorage PD carries glock 21's).

personally I love the 1911, I like the trigger, grip, and heft. a high cap would be good for police work (more bullets between reloads in a gunfight has got to be better). but they issue me a Glock 22c (ported), I don't dislike it but its not my favorite of the high cap, plastic fantastics (th XD and the M&P are much better in my book) I think I would rather carry a 45 XDM if I had my way (fits me better).

most officer firearms are policy chosen. some places let you use what you want but not many.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 am

All true. Many Departments have established their policies on duty weapons based mainly on logistical feasibility like the commonality of training, ammo, and maintenance. There are other Departments that give their employees firearm stipends and allow them to purchase their own duty weapons. The down side is those officers also have to personally maintain those weapons. But the overall premise behind stipends is that if someone owns a weapon they'd be more inclined to practice and be proficient with it and perhaps take better care of it. I know plenty of officers who rarely ever go out and shoot, other than their yearly qualifications, but then there's some of those on the other side of the coin who like to go out and shoot a lot. Glocks and Berettas seem to be the most predominant duty weapons at this time.

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:31 am

Good point, many of my LE pals are not "shooters" and only fire rounds during a yearly qualification. If, I were in that profession I would want my partner to be a very good/practiced shot, and I would do the same. I'll bet that most departments have firm policy as regards sidearm/ammo, so Dirty Harry would only be found in the movies :wink: Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:57 pm

KAZ wrote:Good point, many of my LE pals are not "shooters" and only fire rounds during a yearly qualification. If, I were in that profession I would want my partner to be a very good/practiced shot, and I would do the same. I'll bet that most departments have firm policy as regards sidearm/ammo, so Dirty Harry would only be found in the movies :wink: Regards
I don't think a .44 mag is a good choice for a cop. Waaaay too much power and penetration. :D However, the cop in question with the Springfield, had an 8 round mag with one in the chamber (I presume). That seems plenty. He also had a double clip pouch on him. It did an old guy good to see that 1911 in action. In some states, Texas in particular, the officers still use a revolver. Talk about capacity! TJ

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 pm

KAZ wrote:Good point, many of my LE pals are not "shooters" and only fire rounds during a yearly qualification. If, I were in that profession I would want my partner to be a very good/practiced shot, and I would do the same. I'll bet that most departments have firm policy as regards sidearm/ammo, so Dirty Harry would only be found in the movies :wink: Regards
Harry Callahan shot 44 Specials out of his 6" m29, (more controllable he says in Magnum Force I would be plenty happy to carry my 4" 44 this way at work with a couple of speed loaders (3)

and I do want my co workers to be a good shot, butmy wanting can't make them practice.... my dept requires for off duty/back up guns to not be SA only, and have approval be the boss....duty guns are another story entirely

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 pm

KAZ wrote: Dirty Harry would only be found in the movies
I remember reading in some trivia book, website, I don't remember; that Clint Eastwood actually carried a Model 57 (.41 Mag.) in the first movie, Dirty Harry. Something about the prop department not having a Model 29. When the sequel, Magnum Force, came up, they got him a 29.

Magnum Force had my favorite line from any movie, "A man's got to know his limitations". Callahan says it right after he blows up his crooked boss, I think.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 pm

ruger22 wrote:
KAZ wrote: Dirty Harry would only be found in the movies
I remember reading in some trivia book, website, I don't remember; that Clint Eastwood actually carried a Model 57 (.41 Mag.) in the first movie, Dirty Harry. Something about the prop department not having a Model 29. When the sequel, Magnum Force, came up, they got him a 29.

Magnum Force had my favorite line from any movie, "A man's got to know his limitations". Callahan says it right after he blows up his crooked boss, I think.
My favorite line, or at least one of them is, "I'm your Huckleberry." From Tombstone (1994). Another is, "That'll be the day." John Wayne in the Searchers (1956).