An old beater given some life

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

An old beater given some life

Post by Tbag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:46 am

Here's a 30 year slightly worked over FN Hi Power that sports an alloy frame. Due to the frame being manufactured out of an alloy it reduces the weight of the 32oz down to 25oz's. This reduction really makes it extremely easy to carrier, much more so than the all steel version. Feels about like some of them plastic guns who's names shall remain nameless.

Anyways this is a work in progress, as I am custom making a new strong side safety for it and it all goes well should be on late next or so.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 am

I have one of a similar design, the same generation but all steel. I've never considered it too heavy for carrying. Seems pretty light to me but I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Mine has adjustable sights on it and the front is significantly taller in comparison to yours. One thing I don't like about it is the spur hammer keeps biting the fleshy part of my hand. I've been meaning to install a bobbed spur hammer but I never seem to get around to it. Especially since I've taken to carrying one of those plastic framed, they who shall not be named ( but begins with a "G") guns. Who stippled the frame?

One of the other things I didn't like was the slenderness of the grip; I have large hands and the grip just wasn't making it for me. I installed a set of Pachmayr wrap-around grips with an extra panel at the rear and that added enough girth to the pistol to suit my hand size better. The thumb safety is a little tough to operate as the lever is quite diminutive.

The BHP's takedown is something I've always liked, especially considering how old the design is for this model. No recoil spring snake sitting coiled and waiting to strike out on its own.

How does it shoot for you? Mine shoots very well. Although I have to use .357-.358" lead bullets in it when I want to reload. Otherwise I get keyholes at 50' with the normal .355-.356" 9mm lead bullet diameters.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 am

I too never thought the all steel model was too heavy to be toted, but this does put it in a new light. One day I would like to mill slide for dovetailed sights, but for now the original sights are quite acceptable as I shoot this pistol very well and runs like a top.

I actually stippled the grip and the alloy was pretty easy to modify. As the grip goes the stippling adds just about the right touch/grip. The slim frames potential thickness problem some have with having a large hand I found those palm swell grips on CDNN, turned out being Herrets and they do increase the grip area quite a bit. I tink if you added those to your BHP you would really like them.

No biting on this hammer as I slightly bobbed it, that said I have never been bit and don't really like the looks of the scar that it leaves behind. I radised it from side to side sort of softly. I found going reducing it this way still gives plenty of thumb grip when cocking the hammer compared to others that are simply chopped.

I had customized a a spare safety that I had laying around that someone had given to me, but it seems to have had a slightly bent post, so back to the drawing board to modify the one that currently rides on the pistol.

Need to post the before pictures for a little comparison.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 am

I didn't notice the bobbed hammer, until you mentioned it, but that's all mine needs to prevent the bite too. It looks good proportionately, I guess I'll do the same when I get some spare time.

R,
Bullseye

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 am

I had taken a couple more photos, but I had the early morning 4 cup coffee shakes, so they really didn't come out clear. But I'll post a clear side view that shows it once I break out the tri-pod.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:37 am

A couple of pre and more of after pics

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:04 pm

I have always like the BHP as one of the best shooting guns I own and shoot. The BHP even on a steel frame seams lighter than the solid SS slide guns. It naturally goes where I point it. I have never been bit by the BHP. But I did get bit by a 380 I own.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Nice work. Looks like it would be a pleasure to shoot and something to strike up lots of conversations.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Nice job. I sure would like to put a mag or two down range with it. Good luck with it. :)

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Very nice Tbag, any idea how rare the alloy frame models might be? The original high cap before others caught up. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:43 pm

KAZ wrote:Very nice Tbag, any idea how rare the alloy frame models might be? The original high cap before others caught up. Regards

How rare they actually are I really don't know. That said as far as I know there has not been that many imported into the USA that I know of to date. All I really know is that Novak and C&S bought the majority of them in previous sales as pistols that they would re-work and sell for more than decent money. A needle in haystack type of pistol. I am glad that I've been able to purchase a couple of these at this time.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:21 am

The long barrell on it makes it highly accurate I bet. And I love the trigger and slide gaurd. You might have mentioned but, how old is it.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:41 pm

It's my understanding that when Browning came out with the 40 cal the original frame cracked, so they had to make a beefier frame. John Browning hit the grip angle dead on. All of his designs just seam to be natural pointers, aka 1911. I shoot mine BHP better than my Sig. The steel slide make the gun lighter and has a very good balance. I have small hands so I do not have a problem with the smaller grip. The BHP has been the only gun I ever picked up that I was able to hit targets just by pointing, not using the sights. I have put over 8k rounds through mine. The experts say to by the 40 cal and drop in a conversion barrel for 9mm and the gun will last for ever.

I failed the locking bolt for the barrel in my BHP after 6500 rounds. Browning wanted more to repair the gun that what I paid for the gun. So I had them return it to me and I located a replacement locking cam bolt and installed it my self. Mine happen to be one of the lighter steel frames when they got relaxed on the steel strength the reason for the locking bolt failure.

Would love to run across a SK safety equipped BHP at a good price. This would allow you to carry the gun with the hammer down. Even though I do not have a problem with Condition 1.

They are very good shooters. One of my shooting buddies was with me one time I brought my BHP with me and I let him shoot it. I shot a mag full through it and turned and said WOW. He was surprised for getting 1 ragged hole. He said I will have to out one of these on my list. Browning current price out these guns around $1k, up for $800 before things went nuts.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911