MKIII Colt

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

MKIII Colt

Post by greener » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Was discussing and old revolver at the local Gander Mountain last week and was shown one they just got on a trade in. Decided I had a pressing need for a MKIII Colt Lawman

Couldn't find much about the ones with "E nickle" finish. Serial n# dates it about 1980-1981.

Gander has a 5% discount for military, police, retired military, etc. I got a touch better than 5%. They add a one-year warranty, gun sock, trigger lock and a free cleaning. With their price on new ones, I can understand doing that. This one was under $300 after taxes. It it is not too hot tomorrow, maybe I'll dip into my .38/.357 ammo.

There has to be a reason I need another .38/.357 revolver. Will just have to come up with it before SWMBO gets home.

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Excellent snag! I don't "need" another .38 either, but I'd have been all over that deal like white on rice!
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm

that is as nice as you said it was.....put some smaller grips on her and you got a beauty of a CC gun. rosewood would look great on that one.....

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Does that work when you go fishing too? That a good deal...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:25 pm

That electroless nickle finish is very durable. They plate the nickle over a copper base. Together the two platings are very resistant to moisture penetration. One of my 70 Series 1911s has that finish and I love it.

R,
Bullseye

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Thats a third generation Lawman which I like becuase the ejection rod actually goes into a housing unlike the older model Lawmans. I wouldn't change a thing on that gun.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:11 pm

A very good revolver that has a lot of life left in it. I have had a few over the years, and they are hard to beat. Good luck with it. :)

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:35 pm

First 3 rounds at 15 yards, one-hand standing, were X's. (158 gr LSWC on 4.5 gr universal). Should have quit because it was downhill after that. Excellent trigger SA. The DA trigger is different from the S&W's and Ruger I have. It breaks sooner.

I was very pleased with the revolver both SA and DA. It did a nice job handling .357 for both recoil and accuracy. Overall, that lawman is an excellent revolver and well worth the price.

Just an addition. Today was not a great day for me seeing iron sights. The Colt was probably the worst of the guns I fired. Will try some paint.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:36 pm

You think that one may have had a little trigger work applied to it? Sounds like the trigger was breaking a little before you expected, and then once you got used to it perhaps some steerage was noticed.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Quite possible. I was certainly guessing where the front sight was.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am

Is this a bifocal issue? If it is then you can get one of those sets of "stick-on" lenses to help with your shooting. Stores like Walgreens sell them and you pick out the diopter value you need to focus on the front sight. Then use water to stick the pliable lens onto your shooting glasses where the aiming point is on that lens. That way you're not craning your head all around trying to get a good sight picture. This especially works well for rifle shooting where the focal point is typically very high on the lens. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20 ... ocals.html Plus, you can trim the lenses to a smaller size with a sharp pair of scissors.

R,
Bullseye

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:47 am

Im wondering where you were shooting. I have a Detective sp. w/ the same sights and it took me a little shooting to get used to also.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:18 pm

They are a fine revolver and from what I can see on the Colt Forum you got it for a good price. I had many of them over the years but none anymore. I still have a couple of old J-frame S&W's, but the Colt's are gone. Good luck with it.. :)

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. If not, I can probably find someone to take it off my hands.