kel-tec pf-9

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 pm

If money wasn't an issue I'd get all my pockets outfitted for a SA EMP
hmmmmm? ok.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Hakaman wrote:I have been doing a little seaching/reading on the internet about the PF9 compared to the Kahr PM-9, CW-9. It's amazing how the opinions go, but from what I got out of it, the PF9 seems like a reliable firearm. When compared to the PM-9(I have this gun), the PM-9 has a little better trigger(?), but both seem about equal in reliability. The best test is for the owner to make themselves, shooting it at the range. I like my Kahr, but I think for the price, the Keltec would be a great buy. Hey Greener, isn't it about time for a new gun anyway?
Haka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRbkOdU ... re=channel

heres a good video review

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Hakaman wrote:
If money wasn't an issue I'd get all my pockets outfitted for a SA EMP
hmmmmm? ok.
Sorry, Springfield Armory Enhanced Micro Pistol:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... m=PI9209LP

Now that's the 9mm I'd have in my pocket if money was no object. Built from the ground up to run 9x19/fo-tay/.45gap, instead of being a scaled-down .45 with spacers and the like.
Slap on some thin aluminum grips and BFD would be a happy camper, and with the price of the gun, why not get pockets enlarged and stiffened to accept and release the pistol as needed?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Bfd, now you got a real gun as long as it is the .45ACP model, My 2 SA's are slightly older models. Image
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:37 pm

That's a pretty good video, and good info. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I see those micro's being flashed by OM, but their is always a trade off. Weight, money, ammo size, carryablility, comfort, etc. I don't think I would hesitate with either the PF9 or PM/CW9's. But for a hundred bucks more, my choice is the CW-9, but that's just me. I think the trigger pull is smoother, the gun fits my hand better, and what's a $100-200 bucks when it's your carry gun protecting your life. I know, I could fill my pockets with rocks (free) and throw them at the BG's. If you are serious about toting a carry gun, how much $$$$ do you value your life? Get one that is reliable and shoots accurate, and is comfortable. If you just want a "bug", or another gun to try, I would'nt put such harsh parameters on what I buy.Usually, you get what you pay for, and that's about it !No such thing as a free lunch!There are a thousand roads to every wrong! There are plenty of fish in the sea! There's no glory without sacrifice! There's small choice in rotten apples!
Haka 8)

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:26 am

Hakaman wrote:
That's a pretty good video, and good info. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I see those micro's being flashed by OM, but their is always a trade off. Weight, money, ammo size, carryablility, comfort, etc. I don't think I would hesitate with either the PF9 or PM/CW9's. But for a hundred bucks more, my choice is the CW-9, but that's just me. I think the trigger pull is smoother, the gun fits my hand better, and what's a $100-200 bucks when it's your carry gun protecting your life. I know, I could fill my pockets with rocks (free) and throw them at the BG's. If you are serious about toting a carry gun, how much $$$$ do you value your life? Get one that is reliable and shoots accurate, and is comfortable. If you just want a "bug", or another gun to try, I would'nt put such harsh parameters on what I buy.Usually, you get what you pay for, and that's about it !No such thing as a free lunch!There are a thousand roads to every wrong! There are plenty of fish in the sea! There's no glory without sacrifice! There's small choice in rotten apples!
Haka 8)
his reviews are good and thorough.....long winded though...

wow haka you used more cliche's there than I thought I knew! :shock:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:03 am

Haka, I grew up during WW2, was just 9 when Pearl was attacked. As a result a gun most impressed in my mind was the 1911, guess that fixation always stayed with me. The Micro is the best at at a big gun carry, just even 2 pounds loaded, the V-10 is a 1/2 pound heavier, My liking in the polymer guns is the S&W, M&P, the trigger feels just about like my J frame.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:42 am

his reviews are good and thorough.....long winded though...
wow haka you used more cliche's there than I thought I knew!
Yea, it was a little long, but informative, I think the Keltec is an excellent buy, I say go for it!
It's just a little Christmas humor, and having fun. It my help Greener make up his mind?

Haka, I grew up during WW2, was just 9 when Pearl was attacked. As a result a gun most impressed in my mind was the 1911, guess that fixation always stayed with me. The Micro is the best at at a big gun carry, just even 2 pounds loaded, the V-10 is a 1/2 pound heavier, My liking in the polymer guns is the S&W, M&P, the trigger feels just about like my J frame.
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind having one, OM, it is a cool looking gun, classy! Like a 45acp does, it
puts "real" holes in things!

Merry Christmas,
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 am

Yes Gak, real holes and BIG ones too.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:38 am

Yes hak, real holes and BIG ones too.
I always get a kick out of shooting a 45acp/LC at the range. I usually start off with 22lr, 9mm, 38,
before stepping up with the big boy(45acp). While the smaller cals put holes in the target,
the 45 rips the target apart. There isn't much question about what the 45 will do to a victim. Don't mess with the OM!
Haka :thumbs up:

dacaur

Post by dacaur » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 am

LOVE my PF9. It goes everywhere with me... So far I have only had one stoppage, not the guns fault though, I can say with 100% certainty was the ammo, gun show reload.... I dont know how they can make this gun so cheap, but I'm not complaining!. I spend some time in front of the TV with at scotch brite (7447) to get rid of the flashing, but other than that, it was perfect out of the box.. Highly recommended! Just dont get the crappy tagua IWB holster I got.. waste of $25...

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:50 am

SA 1911 EMP...25 oz.......MSRP $1345.00
PF-9...............14.6 oz.....MSRP $333.00
PM-9..............15.9 oz.....MSRP: $837.00

Large price differences. For me, the SA is too heavy for a "pocket gun".
OM, how do you carry you SA's?
haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:14 am

Hakaman wrote:SA 1911 EMP...25 oz.......MSRP $1345.00
PF-9...............14.6 oz.....MSRP $333.00
PM-9..............15.9 oz.....MSRP: $837.00

Large price differences. For me, the SA is too heavy for a "pocket gun".
OM, how do you carry you SA's?
haka
Micro in a hip pocket holster made for a J frame, and is is a perfect firtfor the Micro or the J. Micro if I remember loaded is an even 2 pounds,

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

if I remember loaded is an even 2 pounds,
how comfortable are they to carry @ two pounds in your hip pocket?

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:51 pm

I shot a friend's Keltec PF9 today at the range. I noticed that it was quite snappy upon firing. As I compare it to my PM-9, it has less muzzle flip when I fire it. I didn't care for how it felt in my hand, and it sort of hurt to shoot. The grip, didn't extend very deep into my hand upon gripping it. An extended grip for my PM9 helps in this regard. I also paid almost double for my PM9 then this Keltec. On the contrary, comfort is not what this gun is purchased for, but for self defense, and the ability to conceal it easily. Both of which it highly succeeds at doing. I asked the owner how reliable it was as far as cycling, etc., he told me it has yet to fail. IMO, this is an excellent buy for a person seeking a highly concealable, reliable, inexpensive, SD hg. Come to think of it, if I had to do it all over again, I might have bought the Keltec over my PM9?
haka