Climbing the Model 52 learning curve

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Climbing the Model 52 learning curve

Post by bebloomster » Mon May 10, 2010 3:09 am

Today was the third trip to the range with my 1983 vintage Model 52-2... I'm starting to learn a few of it's likes and dislikes. I've been using the Lyman #358091 148gr button nose bevel base wadcutter mostly because that's the 4 cavity mold that I have. Casting from scrap wheelweight with a pound or two of linotype added to every 20 pound pot. Yes, hardness no doubt varies from pot to pot but since I don't have any viable way to test hardness, what I get is what I get.

Started out loading with the button facing forward... that put the shoulder on the front of the bullet a good 1/32" or more below the case mouth. Tried various charges of Bullseye, W-231 and Winchester WST... can't say that I was all that impressed with any of them.

Then did the whole thing again but loaded the bullets backwards, the base of the bullet now flush seated with the mouth of the case. Oh my... what a difference. Now I was starting to get groups that resembled groups !!! As expected 2.8 grs Bullseye is quite consistent and 3.1 grs W-231 looks to be a player too.

The trip to the range today involved 50 rounds each of 2.8 grs Bullseye and 3.1 grs W-231. All were fired from a fairly solid rest at both 25 and 50 yards. Groups for both were fairly acceptable however W-231 seemed to be a bit tighter. The owner of the local Mom & Pop gun shop had given me a box of the Speer 148gr hollow base wadcutters to try so loaded 25 each at 2.8 grs Bullseye and 3.1 grs W-231. Holy Cow !!! I was suitably impressed at both 25 and 50 yards. Once again 3.1 grs W-231 seems to be the better choice.

Going to have to order in a supply of the hollow base wadcutters. What I am thinking is load them for ammo that I plan to use when shooting for score. Use my backwards loaded bevel base wadcutters for practice ammo as I have probably 600 pounds of wheelweight that I can get rid of 148 grs at a time.

The saga will continue..........
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon May 10, 2010 6:33 am

This experience sounds like an interesting venture on seeing what works with your Model 52. How long did it take for you to gather 600 lbs of wheel weights?

R,
Bullseye

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Mon May 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Have been casting for well over 40 years... the pile of wheelweight varies. Mostly it is just scrap acquired from small scale tire shops... back before lead and wheelweight became a "hazardous material". THe majority of my current supply is from a friend that moved a few states away. Rather than pay to have the moving company include the wheelweight he just gave it to me... also included just under 100 pounds of linotype. Currently I am getting rid of it 148 grains at a time. Have been known to dispose of it 1 pound at a time though.....

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Recycling lead is a good thing. Back in the late 70's I had a local Judge that use to cast bullets. I could buy them from him cheaper than setting up for them, $8.50/1000 rounds 147gr .358". But most every thing was cheaper back then.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Mon May 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Problem is that now you can legally cast bullets only for your own use. The way I understand it, if you cast them and then sell, trade or just give them away you have to have some sort of FFL plus do some sort of excise tax thing. Just more legal trouble than I would care to get involved in. At first I thought it applied only to loaded ammunition... came to find out it equally applied to just bullets !!!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:04 pm

In any case you have enough lead to last you a life time. I cast but only fishing baits.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 pm

blue68f100 wrote:In any case you have enough lead to last you a life time. I cast but only fishing baits.
Catch many fish on lead worms?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Little George's is what I cast the most. I cut the front hook off and throw it any place I would a plastic worm. At times a loose a lot of them.
David

Custom Built 1911