S&W 52-1 Extractor

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

NUCWO3

S&W 52-1 Extractor

Post by NUCWO3 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:02 am

Where can I get a replacement extractor for a S&W 52-2? Not finding one offered at Brownells.

NUCWO3

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 am

Call Smith and Wesson they'll have them.

R,
Bullseye

NUCWO3

Post by NUCWO3 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks, Bullseye. S&W had no remaining stock, but they pointed me to several other sources, and I bought an extractor, spring, and pin from Numrich.

Unfortunately, the new extractor has done nothing to solve the problem. At least 70% of the time, the fired shell remains in the chamber, and a new round, stripped from the magazine, gets jammmed against the base of the fired round. The type of ammo doesn't matter, either; Super X or Remington factory loads, or my own handloads all fail to extract reliably. However, if I work the slide manually, the chambered round never fails to extract. Other than this extraction problem, the 52-2 is in like new condition. There's nothing loose or sloppy anywhere.

The VT state championships are coming up up in a couple of weeks, and I'm getting worried that I might not be able to compete in the centerfire event. Any suggestions for repairing the extraction problem?

Thanks,
NUCWO3

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Check the chamber carefully. It may be rough or need a really good scrubbing. The fired brass sounds like it is getting stuck on the sidewalls of the chamber. Use a bronze bore brush and some solvent applied to a patch and rotate it around inside the chamber real good.

R,
Bullseye