Expensive .380 Ammo

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Expensive .380 Ammo

Post by greener » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Dropped by Wallyworld for some .380 ammo. No joy, so I wandered down to my favorite hunting and fishing store. They had .380 (one box per customer). Made the mistake of asking "what you got that's interesting?"

In for a box of .380 out with a box of .380 and a Model 19-4, pinned barrel, target trigger.... Darned expensive ammo and they don't fit the gun I bought all that well.

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Lucky you, your post took me by surprise as I didn't think Wally sold pistol anymore. Know they haven't sold them in S. Fla. in close to a hundred years or at least it seems like it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Yeah, just went in to get some ammo...riiight! That's what happens when you go shopping when your hungry for a new shooting iron. Nice grab.

R,
Bullseye

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Sweet!
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

greener

Post by greener » Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Made it to the range today. Very nice shooting revolver in either DA or SA. Some light strikes, maybe one cylinder. Other than that, shoots darned well.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 am

Does it feel like it had an "action job"?

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 am

Probably has had an action job. The DA pull is pretty light and nice. It could have been related to my reloads, also. Except I've had almost no non-fires with reloads and these were part of a 500 round run that hasn't given me any problems in other revolvers.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 02, 2010 9:26 am

The DA pull may be a just little "too" light, hence the light strikes. Just something to keep an eye out for, especially if your considering this as a carry piece.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 am

The light strikes seem to have increased between Tuesday and Thursday. Was quite an issue yesterday. Guess it is time to figure out how and what to fix the problem. Might be enjoyable if I did it, but I'm not too sure which parts to look at. The worst that can happen is a box of revolver parts looking for a gunsmith.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:28 am

Wow, I'm jealous of that baby! Being a S&W, I bet she sure shoots nice. Ahem, my problem, Mr. Greener, you went in for .380 ammo, and came out with a .357 magnum? That's cheating! Ethically speaking, isn't a person somewhat bound to the same caliber gun if he decides to buy one? :lol: I thought that was a rule of "handgun law". Maybe not. Let me see, I'm going to go to the gun store and get some 380, and maybe I'll come out with _ _ _ _ ?
Just joshin',
enjoy, haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:32 am

Tje Greener follows no rules.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:38 am

The Greener follows no rules.
I guess it's fun sometimes to break the law, even if it's just "handgun" laws.
H

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 am

You may just need a good detailed cleaning. Here are some instructions on disassembling your Model 19 (K frame)

Start with gunsmith screwdriver (which is hollow ground and fitted to the screw heads without damaging them).

1) Remove the grips.

2) Remove the three screws in the revolver's side plate. The foremost screw secures the cylinder and yoke. It is special, set this screw aside because you don't want to confuse it with one of the other screws.

3) Using the handle of a hammer or non-marring mallet, rap on the grip frame to "rattle" the side plate off. The hammer block mechanism can now be picked up and set aside.

4) Loosen the screw for the hammer spring (located on the front strap of the frame near the butt). You may unhook the hammer spring from the stirrup and remove it.

5) You can use a flat bladed screwdriver to push the rebound slide spring in and lift it up from the pin. The rebound slide and slide spring may now be removed.

6) Cock the hammer such that it may be disengaged from the trigger. You should be able to disengage it and lift the hammer from the frame.

7) Depress the cylinder release and open the action. The cylinder and yoke comes out now. Note: if you remove the cylinder and yoke before you remove the hammer, you'll find the bolt" prevents the hammer's rearward rotation; making it difficult to remove.

8) Depress the trigger to clear it and lift it out of the frame.

9) Remove the cylinder stop spring and next the cylinder stop assembly itself.

Detail stripping complete. Reassemble in reverse order. If you feel a little overwhelmed, take photos at each step, prior to removing any of the parts. This will better help you remember their orientation of each part as it goes back into the frame. There's always that one part which doesn't want to go back correctly and is difficult to recall the exact way it fit.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks. Will give it a whirl.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am

Plus, if you take photos and they turn out nice we can put them in a "How-to" for others to follow.

R,
Bullseye