Old 45 came in handy

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Old 45 came in handy

Post by charlesb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:38 pm

This morning I was playing a video game in my shop, and saw some movement in the corner of my eye. It was my security monitor... Some guy was right outside my shop door at 8:00 am, helping himself to my lawnmower and chainsaw gas cans!

The closest firearm I had handy that was loaded was my late father's old 45 auto... I picked it up and went outside.

The thief seemed to be flabbergasted that I would ruin his morning by confronting him. I never raised the old 45 from my side, but having it at hand was nice while telling the thief to drop the gas cans and buzz off.

I never pointed the gun at him, and honestly do not know whether he noticed it or not. I just had it in my hand, dangling down on my off side, away from him.

I turned as he was getting ready to leave though, so could not miss seeing it.

Why didn't I hold him for the sheriff's department? - I wanted to get back to my video game.

Petty thieves are a dime a dozen here at the southern tip of Texas. Having to get up and chase him off took up enough of my time and trouble.

After he was gone I went ahead and locked up the gas cans in the shed, wiped off the 45 with a silicone cloth and got back to my video game, where I had really been kicking some butt.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 pm

I believe that's called "brandishing". But it certainly seemed to have worked. Your problem was resolved quickly and safely. Besides, an old 1911 do make an impressive brandish.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:59 am

greener wrote:I believe that's called "brandishing". But it certainly seemed to have worked. Your problem was resolved quickly and safely. Besides, an old 1911 do make an impressive brandish.
I don't think that would be brandishing as far as I am concerned, seems that brandishing woiuld require some waiving and pointing.
Guess we got to ask the little greener, he should know, it's in his area of expertise as a LEO.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 am

My theory is that pointing a gun is counterproductive unless I intend to either shoot, or make a citizen's arrest. Waving a gun around is irresponsible and will lengthen my reaction time if it turns out that I need to fire the gun.

I didn't have time to strap on a holster, so just carrying the gun cocked and locked, pointed down at my side was the next best thing. It was ready for instant use without directly threatening the thief.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 am

You showed great restraint and should be commended. Personally, I've been very blessed throughout my 40 years and have never had the misfortune of witnessing even "petty" crime against my self or family. Consequently, I can't say for sure how I would react. It wouldn't be with deadly force, but I think I would like to project a "bad enough" image that the BG would never even consider a return visit. Maybe he or she would even mention the "bad medicine" to be found out there to fellow scumbags. :D

I don't have a .45, but I'm looking at a nice J frame as I type.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 am

Now that crook will maybe think twice about steeling.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I'd consider it being armed for any unforeseeable confrontation. And, given the current situations in the south border states, understandable.