Loading for a S&W Model 52

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Loading for a S&W Model 52

Post by bebloomster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Had one back in the late 70's or early 80's... have no idea why I ever let it go. Bought a 1983 vintage last week.... it's currently in mid Kalifornia 10 day Hostage Hold. Back then I was loading a 148gr double ended wadcutter ahead of 2.7gr bullseye. Really a no brainer when it came to flush seating the bullet. My current 148gr wadcutter mold has one of those nose buttons (or whatever it might be called). Makes "flush seating" the bullet a bit more interesting. To have the entire bullet flush with the end of the case requires the bullet to actually be seated below the case mouth.

Image Image

Looks a bit strange but if that button sticks out front the cartridge won't fit into the magazine.

Does this look about right to those of you that shoot a 52?
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 am

I have used that same style bullet for fun shooting loads in my 50Th anny Blackhawk and I have loaded a few baskwaeds and it made no difference in performance, but it may for a better shooter. Presently using a 158 RNFP because the shoot great in my Marlin 1894, and work well in the Blackhawk or the 422 Smith.
It may sound stupid but try it you may like it.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Mon May 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Took it out for the first time this afternoon. Tried various charges of W-231, Win WST and good ol' bullseye. Everything was pretty mediocre except for some 2.8 bullseye loads that I had loaded the bullet backwards... the button nose becoming the base of the bullet. That looked pretty promising at 25 yards. Will have to do it all again but loading backwards bullets for everything next time.
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue May 04, 2010 8:48 am

bebloomster wrote:Took it out for the first time this afternoon. Tried various charges of W-231, Win WST and good ol' bullseye. Everything was pretty mediocre except for some 2.8 bullseye loads that I had loaded the bullet backwards... the button nose becoming the base of the bullet. That looked pretty promising at 25 yards. Will have to do it all again but loading backwards bullets for everything next time.
Them bullets will go either way and never know the difference.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.