Someone needs practice

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Someone needs practice

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 pm

ImageThis morning I decided to shoot a cylinder full of shells and I though I'd bring you guys along. I'm shooting 30 feet( 7yrds) w/ my old .38 sp. stubby. It has the old valley sights and you gotta hold the front sight flush w/ the bottom of the valley or you'll shoot high every time at this close. I'm gonna try again in a week or so when I get some time off from work. Maybe I'll do better next time!![/img]Image

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm

That' a point and shoot from a low ready guna nd not a target/aiming gun. Two minutes of felon is adequate. All 5 on a standard sheet of paper will get the job done, in self degense X'x do not increase your score.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:36 pm

I didn't understand any of that my man

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Mr. Nail wrote:I didn't understand any of that my man
It is a self defense gun and not a target gun, should you really need to use it ti savee your or a dear ane's butt, you are not going to have the time to aim.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Right,but its fun. My brother in-law has a 357 S&W snubb kinda like it. We like to set a coke can at 50yds. and try to hit it . What makes it fun is watching the durt fly up cuase sometimes we get really close, and you can see if your shooting left, right, up or down.

shooter57

Post by shooter57 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am

I just never got that new math, up here we still use 7yrds as 21 feet.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 am

Your right I realized the mistake about a second after I submitted the post.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

distance

Post by Pete D. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 am

I've always though that seven yards is kinda long for this type of shooting. IIRC, the "average" encounter is at three yards. Of course, if you can shoot tight at seven, you can probably shoot tight at three.
About errors in posts - which I make fairly frequently - the edit button is your friend.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 am

Self defense distances should be considered as 7 yards and closing faaaaaaaaaast!!! Don't hold your gun out att arms lenght or you may be shooting behine his head. Not going to have time for a well placed shot, just point and shoot and move off tto the side.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 am

Looks like more practice would help with grouping the shots. It's always good to improve consistency. However, if you can put the rounds in a paper plate or 8.5x11 sheet at 7 yards, you've pretty much met the purpose of the revolver.

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:57 pm

with a 2 inch barrel I would have to consider if I could hit him if I threw it. I've got an old S&W Mod 36 and I would have to have them closing before I pulled the trigger as Annie Oakley couldn't reliably hit the X at 21'

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah, I put the target at seven yrds cuase the police on a program said this is their most practiced distance. When I stepped it of and turned around I knew I could get every bullett in the paper but, that bullseye felt real far. I wanted to mostly see how steady I could hold so I didn't practice any self defense techniques. I have trained using alot of different techniques w/ all my firearms but I just wanted to get the fill again cuase its been awhile. My most favorite technique is what I call a charge technique which includes stepping forward quickly while firing fairly quickly in semi-fire longstroke. Its my favorite becuase its very aggressive but, in real life it would have to be the proper situation. I think this is the same situation oldmans speaking of.