1911 Opinions, I know you've got em'

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:24 pm

The new Remington is almost exactly like the Springfield Mil. Spec except it has a flat mainspring housing and the frame is cast rather than forged. They're priced the same, too. TJ

ronn

Re: 1911 Opinions, I know you've got em'

Post by ronn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01 pm

1911 is my favorite platform. I feel Kimber offers the most for the dollar. For top dollar I would get a Les Baer, and for a little less a Springfield. All are true 1911 platforms with resale/trade in value in the future.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I have noticed that when it comes to 1911 discussions, there is not much said about Colt. I have a like new, satin nichol, 70 series (all steel) Colt Combat Comander that I inherited from a friend that happned to be a charter memnber of Delta Force and later transfered to Special Forces. He carried this pistol through much of service and after he retired until he passed away. I would like to hear some honest opinions of this particular pistol. I don't shoot it much but it has a lot of sentimental value.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Colt firearms is one of the most reliable firearms that has been on the market for almost two centurys. I am a Colt fan by far. I have owned 3 other Colt models other than the one I have now and I personally can feel a difference for the better in action smoothness in their 1911 models and more so in their revolvers. You can hand me a Colt revolver and a brand I wont mention and if I just pull back the hammers w/ my eyes closed, I can tell you which is the Colt. Their revolvers are usually heavier and more balanced also, especially in the newer models. After saying all this, I do wish they would put something new on the table like some better patterns on their grips, tactical rails, or mabe even break away from the traditional 1911 style to DA/SA style like Sig and some others feature. The Mustangs used to come without the grip safety but you just dont find this on other Colt models that I can think of. Im one of Colts biggest fans but, I get tired of looking at the exact same thing.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:03 pm

The majority of my personal 1911's are Colts. I've always been fond of their fit and finish.

R,
Bullseye

swoter

Post by swoter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:24 am

I have a Springfield mil-spec. Love it. The only reason I don't own a Colt also is the price of a used one.

billt

Post by billt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 pm

I just picked up these 2 Springfields this past week. A Trophy Match, and a "Loaded" 1911 A-1. I was really impressed with both of them. The black and Stainless look of the "Loaded" Model is really an eye catcher. The Trophy Match is a beautiful gun as well. They really did a nice job on the checkering on the front strap, and the Cocobolo grips really stand out.

I won't get a chance to light them up until next week. I've got a lot of different ammo I want to run through them, as well as some handloads. I'm not sure what weight recoil spring Springfield ships them with. I've tried to find out, but there is no information on their website. A have a Wolff Spring Kit with several different weights, so I'll just wait and shoot them both, then go from there. I don't load at the red line so I think an 18 pound would do fine in both guns, if they don't have that weight in them already.

I originally was going to look at a Remington R-1 they had, but when I saw the black and Stainless "Loaded" Model, I quickly changed my mind. There was nothing wrong with the Remington, it looked like a real nice pistol, but when I compared it to the black and Stainless "Loaded" Springfield, my mind was made up. All in all it was a good day! Bill T.

billt

Post by billt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 pm

I also picked up this Kimber Stainless II a couple of months ago. It really got me going on the 1911 platform. Before I bought this Kimber, I only owned one 1911, this Colt Gold Cup I purchased new way back in 1973.

It still looks and runs like the day I bought it. My interest has been renewed in the 1911. There are so many really nice models now on the market that back in the 70's didn't exist. Then if you wanted a really nice 1911 you had to go custom and wait for months. Today there is something avaliable in a factory production model to satisfy most everyone. Bill T.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Those are very nice. I like Springfield for a lot of reasons. You're starting to catch up to me with all those 1911s.

R,
Bullseye

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 am

greener wrote:
Hakaman wrote:I'll sell you my Taurus PT1911 for a fair price.
H 8)
What's a fair price? Such a deal you have for me? Maybe I need two.

Mine seems to work pretty well. Dave is right, only full size so far. The ambi-safety is reported to be a weak link, but mine has held up so far. I've been pleased with the pistol since I've had it.
I'm left handed so the Taurus appealed to me, but the off side ambi kept coming loose, the last time I was angry enough to "re-install" it with a 20 oz framing hammer. it's been ok ever since.
I have an old Colt Govt Model 70 Series, Colt Commander 80 Series, the above mentioned Taurus, and a Rock Island Armory mil-spec.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-online RPD!

R,
Bullseye

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Bullseye wrote:Welcome to Guntalk-online RPD!

R,
Bullseye
Why, thank you, sir. I didn't see a place on the board to introduce myself, so let me take this opportunity to do so.
I'm 61, a Vietnam vet, and have a modest collection of firearms, mainly military surplus.
The wife and I have a small farm in rural northeast Florida with horses, chickens, and dogs.
I have some guns for pleasure use, and some are homesteading tools.
Anyway, I'm not an expert on much of anything, but I will hopefully be able to contribute to this forum.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:41 am

I'm sure you'll do just fine. We have a great group of folks here and no matter what experience level they bring to the table we all gain from their input.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:57 pm

rice paddy daddy wrote: I'm left handed so the Taurus appealed to me, but the off side ambi kept coming loose, the last time I was angry enough to "re-install" it with a 20 oz framing hammer. it's been ok ever since.
I have an old Colt Govt Model 70 Series, Colt Commander 80 Series, the above mentioned Taurus, and a Rock Island Armory mil-spec.
I've been tempted more than once to pull out my tools for finer work: 5lb hammer and a cold chisel.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 am

greener wrote:
rice paddy daddy wrote: I'm left handed so the Taurus appealed to me, but the off side ambi kept coming loose, the last time I was angry enough to "re-install" it with a 20 oz framing hammer. it's been ok ever since.
I've been tempted more than once to pull out my tools for finer work: 5lb hammer and a cold chisel.
What do you use for the heavy work?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.