1911 Opinions, I know you've got em'

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

1911 Opinions, I know you've got em'

Post by lucam » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I've been a shooter for years, mostly trap; but now I've got 3 good .22 handguns. I'm getting to the point where I can always hit the black at 25 yards and can usually hit a balloon at 100(try it, it's fun!).

We've got an election coming soon here in Wisconsin; I think the Democratic Govenor's Candidate won't stand a chance. CCW is a very real possibility.

This all got me thinking that I'd like a 1911 to learn the platform and get used to it. I've shot a few other people's center-fire guns and the .45's made me smile more than 9mm or 40s&w. I don't know why, but a .45 has appeal to me.

I want a Gov model. Maybe a Springfield GI? I want inexpensive, this won't be a CCW weapon, but it might lead me to the platform in the future. The Springfield mil-spec is a little better, but I can't help but think that what got my grandpa out of Korea is a good enough gun to learn with.

Talk me into it or out of it!

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Pete D. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:56 am

There is absolutely no reason to talk you out of it. The 1911 has been and remains THE premier semi-auto. The first time I fired one - many years and many handguns ago - I wanted one.
If anything, I'd suggest that you buy the best one that you can afford. Springfield's offerings are good ones (I have a "loaded" model that I bought used). Some of the extras - like a lowered ejection port - are nice to have on the gun.
Go ahead and get the thing.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

Tbag
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tbag » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:44 am

The 1911 is a great platform, do yourself the favor and don't go cheap. I"d prefer to buy better used than new cheap.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 am

Springfeilds made a name for themselves for a reason. Their firearms are reliable and affordable, although I do think their older stuff is built a little better. If you did decide to spend a little extra you would not regret getting a Browning or a Colt. You can tell an obvious difference in action smoothness. Kimber makes very sweet M1 1911's also for a good price. If I won the lotto I'd go w/ Wilson. lol.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I have a Springfield "Mil. Spec.," and couldn't be more pleased. For the price, it's real sweet, just like the original military but with some small refinements that you'll appreciate. TJ

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:20 pm

They're fine firearms, my only suggestion is for you to go fire one and make sure it fits you. I shoot a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 and can put two on center mass from a draw 99% of the time. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a 1911.

It's just how it fits my hand, nothing wrong with the firearm. I'm sure I could get used to it.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics need work.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 pm

the 1911 is one of those guns i think every man should own.

i also appreciate the cost factor. and you can't go wrong with springfields (and im a kimber owner). but i personally would get at least a "loaded".

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am

I prefer the Mil-spec to the GI because I can see the sights better. I wasn't a problem a couple-three decades ago when they made issue pistols with clearer sights. :lol:

The Mil-Spec is a good shooter and seems to be pretty darned reliable.

You also might want to look at the Taurus. More improvements for about the same price.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 am

I've got the milspec and its a good shooter, I've seen the citadel's around $550 locally they look ok to me..... I think somebody got one recently on this board (BFD??? ) and he seemed to like it.

I do believe with 1911's you an spend as much as you like and still find a good pistol, it just depends on what you want to use it for. and they are great to tinker with as there are a ton and a half of aftermarket parts out there for them.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:12 am

bgreenea3 wrote:I've got the milspec and its a good shooter, I've seen the citadel's around $550 locally they look ok to me..... I think somebody got one recently on this board (BFD??? ) and he seemed to like it
That's me, and yes, I like it a lot so far.

I'll be looking for another Officer's Size when the national matches are in town there is a big Springfield shop set up at Camp Perry, if I don't find a deal there I might just go RIA for a more "custom" experience, the Citadel is pretty much stock other than the grips I swapped out and better mags.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:22 pm

I'll sell you my Taurus PT1911 for a fair price.
H 8)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Taurus is making an Officer's size now?
Does it take standard parts?

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Bah!
Nothing but government size and not a one without the ambi safety!

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Hakaman wrote:I'll sell you my Taurus PT1911 for a fair price.
H 8)
What's a fair price? Such a deal you have for me? Maybe I need two.

Mine seems to work pretty well. Dave is right, only full size so far. The ambi-safety is reported to be a weak link, but mine has held up so far. I've been pleased with the pistol since I've had it.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:46 am

There is a new REMINGTON 1911 launching May !st. They call it the R-1. I saw an article in one of the shooting mags. Seems to be a mostly traditional design, with a few nice details added. I'm sure you can Google some info and photos.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols