Ruger Blackhawk(new model)

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger Blackhawk(new model)

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:44 pm

I was wondering who else had a Ruger New Model Blackhawk? I find the grip frame to be too small for a decent sized hand. I like the gun, but I would like to have a larger grip. I wonder who Ruger designed the grip frame for? Certainly not for me. My hands are a little on the large size, but nothing too big that I shouldn't be able to fit comfortably on a revolver. I might try finding some oversized grips, does anybody make them for this model?
H

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grips

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:12 pm

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

greener

Post by greener » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm

The new hard rubber grips tend to slip in my hands. I believe you replaced yours with a good looking set of wooden grips.

I think the Hogue-type grips would be the next step for me if the wooden ones didn't work.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:35 am

Hogue makes New Model Blackhawk, Single Six, and Vaquero (all same grip) grips in dozens of woods and polymer styles. The wood ones that I have (coco bolo, cowboy grip) aren't much bigger than factory, maybe a little around the top. The ivory polymer grips are noticeably bigger, but just a little, all over. They make some finger-groove styles that may be larger.

If you look around the internet, you'll find other companies and independent grip makers. Hogue is all I have experience with.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

I dont own a blackhawk, redhawk or valquero, but I've shot all three and you are definatlly right about those grips. Not only are they to slinder, they come way to far out away from the gun before they fall. Lots of western style revolvers are like this but Ruger is the worst I,ve seen and I'm a big fan of Ruger. The hammers are a little longer than most western guns.

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am

Actually the New Model Blackhawks have a larger grip frame than the original Colt SAA. The old model "Flat tops" have a Colt size grip.
My New Model blackhawk is a 45 Convertible. What's yours?
I'm a Ruger guy, got 5 of their handguns.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:18 pm

I have a old Ruger.45Colt that I like real well It's a 1972 or 1973 model without the safety bar.

Image :)

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Good looking old BH, Baldy. RPD, the .45 BH convertible is high on my list of favorite handguns.

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Years ago I had a 7 & 1/2" 45 Colt/ACP convertible, but I let it get away. Ruger doesn't cataloge that barrel length anymore so I now have a 5 & 1/2". The local small town pawn shop had a Flat Top 357 magnum for $300. The only defect was aftermarket grips and very minor rust on the ejector rod tube. I snapped that piece up so fast I got whiplash. :D It serial numbers to 1959.
I also have a New Model Super Blackhawk.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:49 pm

For that price, I'd come up with a reason I just needed a second .357 BH.