A few million LEO's can't be wrong

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm

deleted
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 pm

I have a couple of HKS speedloaders that work well....I would like to trty the safariland comp 1's but have not gotten around to it

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:21 pm

deleted
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Hakaman wrote:The gun club range was closed today for "hunters ed", so a buddy and I went up to the local gun range to shoot a while. I hit the jack pot today, a fellow 223'r gave me 250rds of spent 223 brass he shot, he doesn't reload. Good deal for me. Afterwards, we went and checked out all the new guns in the counter like kids in a candy store. I noticed a nice selection of S&W J frame revolvers. They seem to be very popular these days, and rightfully so. They range in price from $500-1000, depending on the model you choose. I liked the lower end model, titanium frame 38sp+. Does one really need a magnum in this size gun? Maybe, but I think I would go with the + model. One of the best features is the weight: A revolver weighing only 15 ounces!!! I might have to follow in the OM's footsteps and get me one. Hmmm, I'd have to sell a gun to make room for it though. Seems like the OM is always one step ahead of the game.
haka
Haka, I didn't get this old being stupid and behind :lol:
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:36 pm

deleted
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun May 02, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Haka, I didn't get this old being stupid and behind Laughing
Good point. How much have you shot this new gun so far, I was interested in the range report. How does it handle, much recoil?
H
Only shot 20 rounds of my handloads through it so far, have been playing/testing with the rifles too much, After the last couple of range session I have shot 10 roounds each time, From a low ready the are all on the paper but most will stray a little left of center, good enough to put down a bad guy if required.Trigger is a typical nice S&W trigger you can pull far enough to rotate the cylinder and hold until you are relay to send it in it's way. Need to get my finger farther over so I will not push the shots left when finishing. Got to learn to shoot a double action is about what it amounts to. Recoil with the handloads is mild, have to try some factory 158 FMJ's in it next time.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Its a shame that S&W doesn't make the 12oz .38+P Ti guns anymore-just .357 Mag chambered carpal tunnel :shock: guns.

I wish that they would get rid of the IL, but since they are owned by a gun lock company, I guess this won't happen. :cry: I love S&W, but I won't ever buy a IL lock S&W. Well, maybe a .22, but not a defensive CF revolver. Especially one that has a good amount of recoil and could possibly (its happened) partially activate the IL and 'lock' the weapon up. I guess you can take out the lock and have a hole in the side of the gun. I have one on my MkIII.
Hard to shoot a J Frame without pulling shots to the left in DA fire.

I love my S&W guns.
The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm

johnnywitt wrote:Its a shame that S&W doesn't make the 12oz .38+P Ti guns anymore-just .357 Mag chambered carpal tunnel :shock: guns.

I wish that they would get rid of the IL, but since they are owned by a gun lock company, I guess this won't happen. :cry: I love S&W, but I won't ever buy a IL lock S&W. Well, maybe a .22, but not a defensive CF revolver. Especially one that has a good amount of recoil and could possibly (its happened) partially activate the IL and 'lock' the weapon up. I guess you can take out the lock and have a hole in the side of the gun. I have one on my MkIII.

I love my S&W guns.
never had th IL on my 44 mag mountain gun engage under recoil, and that is definitely a heavy recoiling gun, i personally wouldn't worry about it any more than the glock kaboom

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:48 pm

johnnywitt wrote:Its a shame that S&W doesn't make the 12oz .38+P Ti guns anymore-just .357 Mag chambered carpal tunnel :shock:

I love my S&W guns.
I can see that, either I have to learn to point slightly right or maybe change my finger position on the trigger so I don't get that left push. Man Shay sure did group well but just about 3 inches to the left of center;
You don't have to use tho mag stuff unless you want the abuse. Used to have a Super Redhawk .44 mag and shot mostly .44 Special because it was more pleasant.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I usually load to special velocity it is way moy fun to shoot than mags fro a 4" tapered bbl

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:43 pm

I just bought a 317 on bullseye's advice. I needed to defend myself against rabid rabbits in the woods. Even though this one is a 3 inch barrel, it sure is easy to carry. Congrats, you picked the perfect back-up gun. It will still fire pressed into something's ribs, unlike the autoloaders. I like revolvers.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:14 pm

I have a couple of pre lock 317's that I shoot a lot to keep my J frame skills up to par. Painting the front sight neon orange and the rear outlined in neon green, with the clear fingernail polish to seal it.

I've done my homework on the IL guns and they have had some of them that have locked up on folks and S&W knows it. I would take that lock out. Thats just me, but one of the reasons that I carry a J frame is utter reliability. Murphy is alive and well and the lawyer lock is real simple to take out. Heck, we all take the lawyered up parts out of all of our Rugers, and most folks aren't planning to ever use a Ruger .22 Auto to defend their life, or that of there loved ones.
Anyhow, I like your new piece B&OM. Sorry to open a can of worms with the IL.
The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.

lucam
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by lucam » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:56 pm

I would take the IL out of my 317 if it wasn't just a kit gun. If I doesn't work, oh well.... I missed dinner.

If it was a carry gun, I'd take it out.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 am

No problem jonnyitt, the IL problem?, never even crossed my mind. Just left the keys in the case and never have paid any attention to it. If it fails and the BG gets me, do be it. I'm an old man anywya nd the Lord will all call us hoime when he wants, where we have an IL in our gun or not.

Mr. Nail
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Mr. Nail » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 am

That' a point and shoot from a low ready guna nd not a target/aiming gun. Two minutes of felon is adequate. All 5 on a standard sheet of paper will get the job done, in self degense X'x do not increase your score.