A few million LEO's can't be wrong

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 pm

bearandoldman wrote:No problem jonnyitt, the IL problem?, never even crossed my mind. Just left the keys in the case and never have paid any attention to it. If it fails and the BG gets me, do be it. I'm an old man anywya nd the Lord will all call us hoime when he wants, where we have an IL in our gun or not.
bearandoldman, I'm not getting any younger either. I'm starting to have issues with focusing on the front sight on a handgun as well. If you did ever have to use your new 442 (god forbid) I'm sure you will be able to use it to defend your life without it locking up on you. To be fair to S&W, just a few IL Models have locked up inadverdently. Mostly the super hard kicking J frame .357Ti guns. Man, those things kick. Even my .38Ti gun with +p ammo will numb your hand after a couple cylinders. The 2" 317's sure are fun practice gun. You have to watch the clear coat finish that they put on them though while cleaning.
The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 am

When I looked through the potential internal lock problems they didn't seem to be that big a risk. I have several handguns with IL's. None have ever locked. However, just in case, I carry a key on my key chain. Now all I got to do is get the BG to wait patiently while I fumble with the key chain and unlock the gun.

I believe someone has come out with a replacement for the lock that doesn't lock. I don't think it is an issue, but if I ever come across the replacement, I may consider it.

Light loads in a 125 gr bullet make the Airweights easier to shoot. Have an acquaintance who does 200-400 rounds/week with a Taurus 850.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

greener wrote:When I looked through the potential internal lock problems they didn't seem to be that big a risk. I have several handguns with IL's. None have ever locked. However, just in case, I carry a key on my key chain. Now all I got to do is get the BG to wait patiently while I fumble with the key chain and unlock the gun.
Can you call a time out?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

johnnywitt
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by johnnywitt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm

greener wrote:When I looked through the potential internal lock problems they didn't seem to be that big a risk. I have several handguns with IL's. None have ever locked. However, just in case, I carry a key on my key chain. Now all I got to do is get the BG to wait patiently while I fumble with the key chain and unlock the gun.

I believe someone has come out with a replacement for the lock that doesn't lock. I don't think it is an issue, but if I ever come across the replacement, I may consider it.

Light loads in a 125 gr bullet make the Airweights easier to shoot. Have an acquaintance who does 200-400 rounds/week with a Taurus 850.
My 342Ti .38+p gun shot real low with 125/30gr ammo until I changed the front sight to a lower blade. Now, it shoots dead on if I'm not pulling 'em to the left like I always try and do. I shoot the 130gr Win White box FMJ's to practice and any 125gr+p HP to carry. I like the Nyclad 125gr+p, but I don't think they make them anymore. I bought quite a few boxes back in the nineties.
Hope your Dog's doing OK B&OM. My old lab's sleeping peacefully by my feet at the computer. She's really conked out. :lol:
The Founding Fathers are surely rolling in their graves.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:37 am

Jonnywitt, Bear is doing fine this morning. He has just made his first tour of the yard and came back into the house for his dog cookies, and he will tell you he wants them. Now it is time to lay on the back porch and keep an eye on things. In the evening when we use the computer in our office he does the same thing your lab does.
Federal still makes that load and Midway USA stocks them. My 422 shoots either my 135WC's or my 148RNFP handloads great as far a elevation. I shot a few S&B 158 jacketed flat points through it yesterday and the printed well on elevation also. Still throw them a little left but have changed my trigger finger position and they are much better. Got to shoot it some more, am definitely not used to a double action trigger, used to carry my SA Micro all the time but the 422 is about half the weight and a much easier carry.
E mail me and
I will send you a doggie video of a fishing lab.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 am

I just caught a mag article about S&W now issuing some of the snubbies with 2.5 inch barrels. You get a better ejector stroke and a little more sight radius. Sounds like an over-due improvement.

(Yeah, I flip through the shooting mags in the grocery store. If at least 50% of one is really interesting, I actually buy it) :lol:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:13 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Jonnywitt, Bear is doing fine this morning. He has just made his first tour of the yard and came back into the house for his dog cookies, and he will tell you he wants them. Now it is time to lay on the back porch and keep an eye on things. In the evening when we use the computer in our office he does the same thing your lab does.
Federal still makes that load and Midway USA stocks them. My 422 shoots either my 135WC's or my 148RNFP handloads great as far a elevation. I shot a few S&B 158 jacketed flat points through it yesterday and the printed well on elevation also. Still throw them a little left but have changed my trigger finger position and they are much better. Got to shoot it some more, am definitely not used to a double action trigger, used to carry my SA Micro all the time but the 422 is about half the weight and a much easier carry.
E mail me and
I will send you a doggie video of a fishing lab.
Are you planning to turn bear into a salmon retriever? Nice video.

Sounds like you are getting used to the 442

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Yep, salmon. trout and all tha other large good tasting fish. He doesn't even need a license, nothing in the game laws about dogs neeing a license. The 422 is gewtting better, really need to go out and do a little serious practice with it. Too busy playing with the rifles, now that my friend Joe got me to using the good ammo and making small holes witha lot of bullets.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:34 am

Hey OM,
How's the new revolver been working out for you? any problems? or just what the doctor ordered?
H

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

Hakaman wrote:Hey OM,
How's the new revolver been working out for you? any problems? or just what the doctor ordered?
H
A lot ligher than th SA Micro, forget it is there at times. Really don't shoot it that much. It fulfills it's purpose, will put all 5 in COM and that is all that is required of it.

tguil

Post by tguil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am

Been thinking about buying a 442 because it's a bit lighter than my Model 36 which by the way is still LNIB and I'd like to keep it that way. (Purchased it in the early 80's.) And being a sort of "old guy" too, I'll listen to you guys who I am quite sure are not into "tacti-cool".

bearandoldman, I have two goldens. Both are into fish too. However it's the kind that comes in a bag -- fish (salmon) and sweet potato kibble. They both have food allergies. Neither is allergic to venison so I have two deer in the freezer just for them. We most certainly have to take care of our "best buds", right?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am

tguil wrote:Been thinking about buying a 442 because it's a bit lighter than my Model 36 which by the way is still LNIB and I'd like to keep it that way. (Purchased it in the early 80's.) And being a sort of "old guy" too, I'll listen to you guys who I am quite sure are not into "tacti-cool".

bearandoldman, I have two goldens. Both are into fish too. However it's the kind that comes in a bag -- fish (salmon) and sweet potato kibble. They both have food allergies. Neither is allergic to venison so I have two deer in the freezer just for them. We most certainly have to take care of our "best buds", right?
You bet your butt. You will never have a bud more loyal.
Yell at him or even beat him and he will follow you anywhere with no questions.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:03 pm

That's what some wives do to their hubbies !

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Hakaman wrote:
That's what some wives do to their hubbies !
10-4 on that one...........
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols