Taurus PT738

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 02, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks, I'll take a bright light to the casings.

My thoughts on not reloading were that I doubt I'd shoot more than 250-300 rounds/year out of the pistol. Didn't buy it for a range/target gun. Ball ammo around here seems to be $20+/box of 50, if you can find it. Reloading would make the supply a bit more reliable.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:50 pm

And the cost will be closer to $14/100 for reloads. My reloading what kept me shooting when supplies went scarce.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 02, 2010 1:52 pm

The nice thing about reloading is it makes shooting more affordable. The not-so-nice thing is all your savings, and then some, go up in smoke and loud noises. And I'm enjoying .45 Colt because "I can reload and the rounds won't be expensive." I can sit back and look at my .45lc Blackhawk and Uberti Cattleman and just think about the money I'm saving. :lol: But is sure is fun not saving anything.

I haven't priced .380 bullets but the most. Noticed that Midway has a lot of "Not in Stock, No Backorder" on .380 ammo. Currently the most expensive reloads I do are abut $0.13/round. I haven't bought any bullets in a while, so I suspect the prices have gone up. I figure about $50 for the dies, shell plate and turret for my Lee Pro. At 300 rounds I've paid off the investment.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Seem to have gotten the feed problem about right. Shooting 95gr JHP on 4.2 gr Unique. The pistol appears not to like being dirty or the lube I've used on the last cleaning. Started having ejection problems with my reloads and some commercial FMJ.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Cleaning the pistol didn't seem to work. The extractor didn't catch about half the rounds even after a good cleaning and lubing. The extractor seems to be the standard type with an internal spring. It didn't move and I didn't readily see a way to remove it. It had no pin through the slide.

Called Taurus. They immediately said return it and would pay for the shipping if FEDEX picked it up. They wouldn't pay if I took it to FEDEX. Fun waiting for Fedex to drop by. We'll see how long it takes.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm

This may not help for your Taurus, but, I just bought 5 boxes of Federal 9mm for $9.50/box. I asked the gal how many she would let me have and she said there wasn't any limit. This is Walmart.
Hak

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Not a bad price, just above reloading costs

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I couldn't pass up the bargain so I went back and go 5 more.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:16 pm

I've seen a couple shops with plenty of .380 over the past couple of days. All of it at $22.50 per box of 50, or higher.

Letter from Taurus. They have the pistol and will try to get it back in 5-6 weeks.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 am

5-6 weeks, wow, that seems like a long time. I hope it works out for you. BTW, if you remember, I had to send "both" my S&W's back to the factory for warranty work the same week I bought them. Both came back in about 2 weeks, lightening fast. Again, they are my fav's to shoot.
Haka

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:44 am

Taurus seems to take a while on these things. A shooting buddy had to send his 850 back for a hammer spring. It took about 8 weeks. Apparently he couldn't find one he could use to replace the broken one. They did a pretty good job of refurbishing the revolver.

I've had much better turnaround with S&W. I had a problem with the firing pin on my 22A and emailed S&W asking if it was better to replace just the part or the whole block and parts. Their response was send it to us, we pay. Took about 4 weeks. They took 7 days (send to me getting it back) to fix a problem with my M&P. I believe the P22 fix took about 4 weeks.

As much as I like the fast, responsive customer service and believe that is a plus when considering a firearm purchase, I'm not sure how much is says positively about the products if you've had several good experiences with new gun returns. :lol:

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 am

As much as I like the fast, responsive customer service and believe that is a plus when considering a firearm purchase, I'm not sure how much is says positively about the products if you've had several good experiences with new gun returns.
It is better to have it take more time, and get the job done right, then to get it back with the problem still existing. They are taking the appropriate time to do the job right, and giving the gun a thorough go through. I have heard it said that a new gun returned from servicing is better then a new gun ?
I have also heard plenty of complaints about S&W quality control on newly purchased firearms. Probably, like most companies, they cut back on skilled manpower for the sake of saving money. My Smiths have been great so far, after return from service.
H

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:47 pm

The TCP was returned today. The note said they replaced the extractor. Will be a few days before I can fire it. Three weeks turnaround isn't bad. I had expected much longer.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Hopefully the new one will last more than a few weeks.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Bullseye wrote:Hopefully the new one will last more than a few weeks.

R,
Bullseye
My first thought on reading your response was it was a dig of masterful subtlety.