what weight spring fo 45

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

what weight spring fo 45

Post by DeerSpy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi all,
I have a colt series 70 45 have put a ken sight rear on and taller front sight
I have 185 and 200 gr lead cast bullets and will use bullseye powder 3.8 to
4.2 I think. question what spring weight should I be using, and will one work for both weight of bullets?
javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

spring

Post by Pete D. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 am

I use a similar load. I use a 12lb spring. You may want to try a 14lb. spring first just to see if it will run the gun with those loads reliably. Go with the heaviest spring that works. Have you tried those loads with the standard (16lb) spring?
Yes, both loads will work with whichever spring you decide.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

spring?

Post by stork » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:20 am

Ditto on the 14-16# spring post.

Your final choice is going to be dependent on how tight your 45 is fit together and how well it's tuned.

One way to test is to 'limp wrist' the magazine full, and if the last shot doesn't lock the slide back when 'limp wristing' but does when you 'lock' your wrist, you're probably ok.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DeerSpy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks for info, I have three springs but do not have any ideal what weight they are so think I will get a 16, 14, and 12 to try.

what about shock buffer? gun did not come with one do I need one do not under stand how they work, it look like if you put in front of spring on guide rod it would cause coil bind or increase tensionjavascript:emoticon(':?:')

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:04 am

I use shock buffs all the time. They just protect the impact zone on the front of the frame. Unless the buffer is damaged it doesn't interfere with the recoil spring. The buffer goes on the recoil guide rod and then the spring sits in front of it on the rod.

14# to 16# spring should do the trick for you.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:05 am

Another way to slow the slide as it returns is to use a firing pin stop with a small radius instead of the standard larger radius. It will make it a little harder to hand cock by racking the slide, but it does help stop muzzle flip from the slide hitting the stop. I also use a shock buff.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.