Taurus 1911 Stainless, new STI left had safety, range time!

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Funnyrunner

Taurus 1911 Stainless, new STI left had safety, range time!

Post by Funnyrunner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Didn't think I'd ever get to the range but finally went today.

Before I went, I swapped out the ambi-safety with an STI left handed safety that I got from Midway. Dropped in like it was going home to momma, no fitting required and it functions like it should.

Put 300 rounds through the 1911SS and it was flawless! Didn't get 1" groups but didn't expect to with these 58 yr old eyes. It did what I wanted it to and better at 5, 7, 15, and 25 yard ranges though.
The 2 Taurus mags and 3 Chip McCormick mags all functioned great also.

The range had a nice collection of 1911's for sale, I was really impressed with the Kimber they had for $1300.00. They also had a nice stainless Springfield Armory 1911 for $900.00. My question is, why would anyone pay that much for a 1911 when the Taurus does everything it should for far less money? After shooting the Taurus, I don't think I'd swap it for the others even on a gun for gun swap.
The Taurus is that nice.

Glad I got the Stainless model also and love the Pachmayr's.

What would John Moses Browning do?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Sounds great! I'm happy to hear that this pistol lived up to your expectations. I don't know how I'd personally feel about the checkering underneath the trigger guard. Overall the pistol has a lot of qualities not ordinarily found on a production pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Funnyrunner

Post by Funnyrunner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Didn't even notice the checkering under the trigger guard when I was firing.
It sure handles nicely. I'd heard it's one flaw was the design of the ambi-safety so I went ahead and swapped it out for a left hand only safety.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:05 pm

That area looks like it could be a source of irritation if a shooter has a lengthy shooting session.

R,
Bullseye

Funnyrunner

Post by Funnyrunner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:13 pm

I fired 300 rds and didn't notice it. Go figure.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:32 am

The range had a nice collection of 1911's for sale, I was really impressed with the Kimber they had for $1300.00. They also had a nice stainless Springfield Armory 1911 for $900.00. My question is, why would anyone pay that much for a 1911 when the Taurus does everything it should for far less money? After shooting the Taurus, I don't think I'd swap it for the others even on a gun for gun swap.
The Taurus is that nice.
Pretty much my sentiments. Haven't found much to complain about with my PT1911B. Lots of "higher end" features and shoots pretty well if I let it.