Ruger MK II rebarrel

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ekaphoto

Ruger MK II rebarrel

Post by ekaphoto » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I have a SS MK II slab side. I am thinking of having Clark put one of their match 5.5 barrels on it. Is it worth the money? I like the balance of the 5.5 better than the 6 7/8 slab side is what it comes down to. Would a Ruger 5.5 be cheaper or should I just find a new one with a 5.5 barrel for the cost?
John

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:06 pm

I agree with your opinion of better balance with the 5 1/2". I took mine to my favorite gunsmith and had him cut it down to 5 1/2" and recrown it.

Problem solved.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:42 am

A pistol is good but two is better. I'd get another in the 5.5 bull barrel configuration. Then if you decide that you just don't care for the 678 Slab anymore you can always sell it. There's lots of folks who desire that barrel configuration.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 am

Bullseye wrote:A pistol is good but two is better. I'd get another in the 5.5 bull barrel configuration. Then if you decide that you just don't care for the 678 Slab anymore you can always sell it. There's lots of folks who desire that barrel configuration.

R,
Bullseye
.Got to agre with you there, the cost to rebarrel willl not be much less than anoter gun, and YOU ALWAYS NEED ANOTHER GUN.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Crap, I thought I had enough for a while, but now I realize that I NEED ANOTHER GUN!

It had better be another NAA mini, no room in the safe for much else.

ekaphoto

Post by ekaphoto » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Bullseye wrote:A pistol is good but two is better. I'd get another in the 5.5 bull barrel configuration. Then if you decide that you just don't care for the 678 Slab anymore you can always sell it. There's lots of folks who desire that barrel configuration.

R,
Bullseye
That was my first thought, but I noticed Clark had match barrels and was wondering if their barrels and installation will make the pistol shoot better. It is actually vary accurate as is now, but well I can always use more accuracy. :D I will probably just add to the collection. I have 3 ruger .22 pistols now. 2 MK II's and a 22/45 MK III. My collection is not close to being compleate. :twisted:
John

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 pm

I agree with the others, get another gun. The cost of re-barreling is almost the same cost as a new gun.

I have also heard that some of the after market barrels have a tigher chamber. The tighter tollerance makes it a little more picky on ammo.

Besides it's allways better when you have more guns. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Crap, I thought I had enough for a while, but now I realize that I NEED ANOTHER GUN!

Easy solution to this problem - Time for a bigger safe. :D

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm

Bullseye wrote:
bigfatdave wrote:Crap, I thought I had enough for a while, but now I realize that I NEED ANOTHER GUN!

Easy solution to this problem - Time for a bigger safe. :D

R,
Bullseye
that should solve the problem

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:01 pm

ekaphoto wrote: That was my first thought, but I noticed Clark had match barrels and was wondering if their barrels and installation will make the pistol shoot better. It is actually vary accurate as is now, but well I can always use more accuracy. :D I will probably just add to the collection. I have 3 ruger .22 pistols now. 2 MK II's and a 22/45 MK III. My collection is not close to being compleate. :twisted:
A new Clark barrel is not going to make much difference in your score. The inherent accuracy of the .22 isn't changed much, if any, by the barrel.
A good trigger job and a LOT of practice and good shooting habits will do as much as a barrel. Just my humble opinion :roll:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:13 pm

I must agree with bud, we have found this to be true for the MOST part over the years of both working on the guns, and shooting competively in a bulleyes league (CCPL) the barrels on the Rugers themselves are pretty accurate,in fact, one of the leagues top shooters, using a 'standard' auto 4 3/4inch ,fixed sight barrel, shot a 288 in a match,this was just to "proove, a point, his target guns were High Standard Victors and then Hammerlis later on............so practice, practice, practice......
as for YOUR gun, if you like the balance or feel of the 5.5 inch barrel, you can always have it cut down.....done that before
Lots of times them big buck, custom built guns , are a "feel good" thing, 'its GOTTA be better, more accurate, cause it cost so much.......
dan

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Remember the main factor in accuracy is not the shooter but it is the SHOOTER.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 am

Bullseye wrote:Easy solution to this problem - Time for a bigger safe.
YOU come help me get it up the stairs to the apartment!

ekaphoto, remember that if you do go the route of getting a new upper, you can recoup some of the cost by selling off the old upper, if so desired.
In fact, I might be interested in a slab-side, now that I think about it ... but I already have two pimped-out mkIII frames, so all I'd need is an upper ... ... where are you located?