First 1911-Randall

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 am

Ah-ha, the name comes from the fact that the cartridge gets caught in 3 places. I thought the name was derived because the pistols timing was thrown off due to excess friction (caused by the barrel moving forward too soon) that took place in three main areas; however, I failed to realize that the cartridge is the one feeling all the friction, and therefore, would bind up in those 3 places causing a jam.

I know this condition is caused by the pistol, but would certain bullet types cause more frequent 3-point jams than others?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 am

It shouldn't but that is one reason why round nosed bullets feed best in tilting barrel/locked breech semiauto pistols. It is also why these pistols mainly use semi-wadcutters instead of full wadcutter shaped bullets. The semi-wadcutter bullet profile is more cone shaped to aid in feeding. The S&W M-52 was designed to feed .38 cal wadcutter ammo but these pistols are notoriously ammo/magazine sensitive. If the edge of the cartridge case catches the barrel lip it will cause the barrel to tilt upward prematurely, causing the angle of feed to increase drastically and create a 3 point jam.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 pm

I see. I remember reading that people used to use the M-52 for their center-fire pistol in bullseye shooting. I read it was often it was often replaced by their .45s due to reliability issues, now I know why.

I was unaware that non-1911 tilting barrel designs could have a 3-point jam. I had only heard of them occurring in 1911s; I thought it may be exclusive to 1911s due to their specific dimensions and the .45acp dimensions.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Browning Hi-Powers are another example for a 3 point jam. Often feeding problems are caused by the magazine, that is why it is prudent to try a new, quality magazine first.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm

On all of the BHP I have shot, you only seem to get reliable operation if it's a Megar or Browning which is made by Megar.

All others have a tendency to cause jams like you described.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911