How do the older SA Mil-Specs (1991) stack up?

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

sciguy

How do the older SA Mil-Specs (1991) stack up?

Post by sciguy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm seeking an inexpensive entry level .45 that would also be a reasonable platform for future Bullseye oriented accuracy upgrades. I just found a 1991 vintage SA Mil-Spec and wonder if it might be a reasonable candidate for my task. As I understand things, this version of Mil-Spec predates the GI as Sprinfield Armory's lowest level pistol. I'm not sure if that means it wasn't as nice as the current Mil-Specs or that the GI was a step down.

What can you experts tell me this vintage pistol. The one I'm considering appears to be a "safe queen" with little sign of use or mistreatment.

Best Regards,

Hugh

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:03 am

Welcome to the forum sciguy!

Springfield's 1911s make a fantastic starting platform for a bullseye gun. I am not sure if Springfield was using forged frames/slides in '91 (or if this particular model was made with forged parts); which is necessary for a lasting accurizing job. Another member of the forum may be able to answer that question if not just call SA and ask.

If you decide to get a rack grade pistol and later upgrade it for bullseye, be prepared to make a significant investment. You will have to replace almost all of the internal parts, plus labor fees. Also, be prepared to wait a while after you send the pistol to a smith, around 1 year in most cases.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 am

I like to use the SA frames for accuracy mods. It's a good quality pistol. The rails hold a tightening job far longer than most.

R,
Bullseye

junior

Post by junior » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 am

I have a hi-cap GI and it is nothing short of combat accurate, certainly not gonna win any long range silhouette contests, but I can group it just as well as my p220 at 15yds.. One thing with those GI and lower level mil specs, might be worth looking into lowering and flaring those ejection ports for cycling consistency That was the only drawback on mine till I spent the $60 bucks and had it done. Good Luck!!