Favorite Competition Gun

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

TechTeach

Favorite Competition Gun

Post by TechTeach » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Thought I'd show all my favorite gun. It started out as a Nowlin 9x23 then became a 38 Super. Decided I didn't like the frame and changed it to an STI then decided I wanted to go from 38 Super to 9mm major. Changed out the slide, barrel and comp now it's a STI 9mm major. The red dot is a C-More. Has it advantage when your eyes tell you it's time for glasses.Image
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by TechTeach on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:47 am

That's a very nice looking race gun. Something tells me you like shooting IDPA and falling plates.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:53 am

Sweet lookin pistol!

Do the holographic/tubeless red-dots optics hold a big advantage over traditional tube red-dots for speed shooting? I don't think I've seen one open-class race gun with a tube red-dot on it.
Conversely, I've never seen a bullseye pistol with a holographic/tubeless red-dot mounted -- why is that?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:05 pm

The holographic sights are suppose to have a wider view, and you do not need to have the gun perfectly aligned with the target. So target acquisition is faster, with the larger dots. Since they are shooting plates, bullseye accuracy is not needed, scopes have have smaller dots, better accuracy.

9mm Major, so your the one's that's blowing the primer pockets out of the brass.

Looks like a full race gun too me.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Do you have a part in the movie "Star Wars" ? :alex:

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 am

blue68f100 wrote:The holographic sights are suppose to have a wider view, and you do not need to have the gun perfectly aligned with the target. So target acquisition is faster, with the larger dots. Since they are shooting plates, bullseye accuracy is not needed, scopes have have smaller dots, better accuracy.
I see -- makes sense. For precision shooting, is the smaller reticle the only advantage the tube dots have?

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 pm

My favorite competition pistol was a COLT Python! Next was the COLT Gold cup, which was soon replaced with 2 model 70 series that were customized for shooting competition. It took me almost 3 months of shooting to get used to the Gold Cup in those days, I was a revolver man converted over to the 1911 model. :)

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Favorite

Post by Pete D. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 pm

My favorite is this High Standard Victor. Most often it wears the Falcon match barrel and that old Ultra Dot.

My favorite CF gun is this old Gold Cup done over a bit by the late George Madore: