Sights for a Ruger MK II autopistol

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

sniper

Sights for a Ruger MK II autopistol

Post by sniper » Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm

My eyes are a real problem. Advancing age has almost eliminated accurate use of iron sights.

I bought a Weigand mount and a Millett red dot scope for my Mark II, and accuracy improved remarkably, but after a while, I just couldn't stand the clunky look, bulk and weight of the set up. Will be sold on eBay.

As one of the least-expensive sights, I am looking at the Burris Fastfire II, with attendant mount, which should provide a more compact, lower and lighter weight installation. And, I don't really want to drill and tap the receiver of my Ruger.

Has anyone had experience with the Burris Fastfires, or other more compact sights (less expensive would be good!) and what are your conclusions?

Thanks.
Last edited by sniper on Fri May 29, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri May 29, 2009 8:38 pm

I've never actually seen one, but looking at the picture, it appears that the dot would be considerably higher (over centerline of bore) than a red dot with low mounts. Is that true? The lower, the better. I have the Bushnell red/green dot on my 22/45 Mk III and the added weight makes it easier for me to hold. Since I only poke holes in fun targets (I don't carry it), the Bushnell is great. The Weigand mount is also high and I'm considering the standard rail to replace it and get lower. Will have to drill and tap to do that, however.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.