Walther PPS

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 am

It's kind of Ironic. I found a couple of Kahr P9s but could not find the Walther PPS. She had her heart set on the Walther. It took a while but we finally found one and she is happy now.

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 am

The wife and I both looked at the Walter PP pistol but I myself did not like the way the clip has to be dropped with a lever off the trigger guard. This means it is a 2 handed operation as one (unless you are a magician) can not do with one hand. Levers do break often compared to a button system!

I really liked the looks of the Walther and in 9mm Luger cal, it is a very adequate carry pistol for those with CCW permit. I guess we will stay with the Sigs and Glocks for carry guns.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 am

Hi Ball wrote:The wife and I both looked at the Walter PP pistol but I myself did not like the way the clip has to be dropped with a lever off the trigger guard. This means it is a 2 handed operation as one (unless you are a magician) can not do with one hand. Levers do break often compared to a button system!

I really liked the looks of the Walther and in 9mm Luger cal, it is a very adequate carry pistol for those with CCW permit. I guess we will stay with the Sigs and Glocks for carry guns.
I'm with you on the mag release. It is not very efficient. However, she likes the gun and is comfortable with it. Myself, I usually carry a S&W M&P 40C. I like it a lot but she couldn't handle anything with a double stack mag.

Funnyrunner

Walther PP

Post by Funnyrunner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:35 pm

I have a WW2 German army marked PP and it's one of the best shooting pistols I've seen. Easy on the recoil, super accurate. Loaded with Corbons, a decent self defense weapon for a female. Better to have something she can handle than something she dislikes and finds hard to shoot. Shot placement is everything and a .32 Corbon will get your attention.

Funnyrunner

Post by Funnyrunner » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:30 am

smokey wrote:
Bullseye wrote:I have to second the Sig 230. She should give one a try, they're very comfortable to shoot for a smaller profile hand.

R,
Bullseye
I carried a PPKS for many years and its a great pistol. But, if you can't find one, I agree with Bullseye. The Sig 230 runs a really close second to the PPKS. Go for it if you can find one.
Funnyrunner
What would John Moses Browning do?

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Ball wrote:The wife and I both looked at the Walter PP pistol but I myself did not like the way the clip has to be dropped with a lever off the trigger guard. This means it is a 2 handed operation as one (unless you are a magician) can not do with one hand. Levers do break often compared to a button system!
I'm late to the party on this one, but the mag is easily dropped with the shooting hand, in fact, that is how I've done it since my first range trip.
It might not be as convienient as a button perfectly placed under the thumb of a right-handed shooter with fingers of just the right length ... but it works for every shooter regardless of hand size or preference.

I don't know what it would take to snap it off, it seems to be on there with a fairly thin pin, but on the other hand, it isn't in a position that offers much leverage, unless you're yanking the gun up with one hand and the lever down with the other ... not the intended design, and not the way to reload in a hurry anyway.

Oh, and it is NOT a "PP pistol", Walther has a somewhat confusing model naming scheme, and a "PP" pistol is something very different from the PPS.