SR9 Update

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

SR9 Update

Post by greener » Sun May 10, 2009 9:47 am

I spent some "quality time" with the SR9 last weekend detail stripping it and polishing the trigger bar and ejector sides. I also removed the mag safety, which turned out to be a very simple task. The work really took some of the gritty, jerky feeling out of the trigger but didn't noticeably decrease the trigger weight. I fired it yesterday and was able to do better with the lower velocity loads for accuracy, but still had about 5 stovepipes out of 75 rounds with those loads. I still can't shoot the hotter, no stovepiping, loads with any accuracy.

I've been shooting lead roundnose bullets and plan to give some jacketed/coated bullets an evaluation. I've noticed the barrel seems to lead up faster than my M&P9 shooting the same stuff.

I'm not as pleased with the SR9 as other owners seem to be. However, another shooter fired mine and was really pleased with it. He was shooting at a part of the cardboard target backer that had lot's holes in it so I couldn't judge accuracy. Maybe I'm being over critical or, if I decide I don't like it, I know where it can find a home.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am

Great follow-up report. For anyone who is interested here's a link (from my friends at Rugerforum.com) that may be helpful for SR-9 maintenance, including the mag disconnect removal. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52057

Striker fired pistols are not easy to reduce trigger pull, at least not easily, like the traditional hammer/sear fired auto pistols.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for posting the link that I failed to post.

One of the posters said you could reduce the trigger weight by cutting off some of the striker spring. Didn't want to try that.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Not a good idea. You could also cause light strikes by clipping that striker spring, and that's not a good thing on a defensive weapon.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 am

I tried some 115gr FMJ (Montana Gold) bullets loaded with 5.0 gr Bullseye (book 1169 fps). No ejection problems and, for me, pretty good accuracy for the first 15 rounds. Tried the lighter load 125gr lrn (4.0 gr W231) and got a couple ejection problems. Seems that this pistol doesn't like the 125gr lead bullets I'm using or anything I've tried with them.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 am

Sounds like you're narrowing it down to what diet that pistol likes to eat.

R,
Bullseye