Cost of Ammo

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Cost of Ammo

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 pm

I wonder what the cost of ammo is doing to people's purchase decisions? So, the question is just that:
Does the cost of ammunition dictate the caliber of gun you buy?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Cost of Ammo

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Hakaman wrote:I wonder what the cost of ammo is doing to people's purchase decisions? So, the question is just that:
Does the cost of ammunition dictate the caliber of gun you buy?
To some extent yes, but I do reload the .45ACP and the .38 Special to save some buck for us low income old guys. I do shoot a lot of .22LR also, just to get more shooting for th4e buck. If I did not reload centerfire and just purchased factory ammo, I would most likely shoot a 9mm. 9mm is probably the lowest cost on the market due to he fact that so much of it is manufactured.
Still 77 degrees, sunny and calm indoors, outdoors is like 19 and very windy, with a wind chill of 4 degrees according to the Weatherbug.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

SKnight
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by SKnight » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:09 pm

It doesn't influence my purchase too much, if I want a long range gun then I'm going to get a .270 or a .308 which are my preferences.

It does however dictate what I shoot. .22LR gets worn out around here, .45 when I can get cheap white box.

For big bang noise making I shoot 7.62X54R Mosin Nagant. You can get that surplus cheap even at gun shows.

Hi Ball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hi Ball » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 pm

I was able to purchase 1 box of Cor-Bon defense ammo for my Kimber Carry gun last week. Now the price will set you back just a bit perhaps at $32 dollars for 20 rounds. This is more than highway robbery me thinks! :shock: :x

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:51 pm

I am .22LR only, except for the extra WMR cylinder with the Single-Six. I'd rather get to shoot a few hundred little holes in one afternoon, than a few dozen in an hour. I can't afford to get very proficient with a centerfire.

That's why my carry gun will be a Beretta Bobcat. I debated on an LCP, then decided that shot placement would outweigh the actually small difference in effectiveness.

I've heard that an LCP is a handful to handle, anyway. I can imagine, since the little Bobcat has every bit the recoil, and boom, of a .38 revolver. With Federal Spitfires, you get some pretty impressive muzzle flash !

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm

I am .22LR only, I'd rather get to shoot a few hundred little holes in one afternoon, than a few dozen in an hour. That's why my carry gun will be a Beretta Bobcat.
I like your reasoning Ruger, I have the most fun with my 22lr mark lll. I was, and still am, thinking of getting a bobcat for carrying in the summer time, and maybe all the time. Not having a bulky gun weighing on you is of good value to me.
haka

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

A couple of years ago when ammo price and availability of ammo was better, the price of ammo had only a slight affect on caliber choices. When I started reloading it had the opposite effect. Ammo is so inexpensive, I've been willing to buy handguns I might not have purchased. I think my savings have been in the negative category: more guns and shoot more ammo. :roll:

I don't think I'd worry about the price of ammo for self-defense. What's your life worth?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:30 pm

greener wrote:A couple of years ago when ammo price and availability of ammo was better, the price of ammo had only a slight affect on caliber choices. When I started reloading it had the opposite effect. Ammo is so inexpensive, I've been willing to buy handguns I might not have purchased. I think my savings have been in the negative category: more guns and shoot more ammo. :roll:

I don't think I'd worry about the price of ammo for self-defense. What's your life worth?
Rob, your first sttement, you will do anything to make an excuse to buy anothr gun.
SD ammo,I get mine from the Lone Ranger,it may come in handy if I ever have to fend off a werewolf attack.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:26 pm

It does impact my purchases. I purchased my MKIII Hunter so I could shoot a little more. Then discovered 22LR ammo in some cases more than it cost me to reload my 9mm. I made a large purchase on primers, powder and bullets before all of the shortage hit. The purchase was large enough to last me for 2 yrs. But I have decided to cut back on 9mm usage and shoot the MKIII. I shoot my 9mm enough to keep my proficientcy.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote: Rob, your first sttement, you will do anything to make an excuse to buy anothr gun.
Not excuses, reasons. Will give them to you when I remember them.
SD ammo,I get mine from the Lone Ranger,it may come in handy if I ever have to fend off a werewolf attack.
I just coat bullets in wolfbane. Also hang some next to the garlic. Must work, haven't seen any werewolfs or vampires.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:46 pm

I've seen some coyotes in my back yard! I don't think they need a silver bullet though.
Abraham Haka

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:52 pm

blue68f100 wrote:It does impact my purchases. I purchased my MKIII Hunter so I could shoot a little more. Then discovered 22LR ammo in some cases more than it cost me to reload my 9mm. I made a large purchase on primers, powder and bullets before all of the shortage hit. The purchase was large enough to last me for 2 yrs. But I have decided to cut back on 9mm usage and shoot the MKIII. I shoot my 9mm enough to keep my proficientcy.
Sounds like you are in good shape for 9mm. The Hunter is a good buy and an excellent gun to shoot even if the ammo prices and availability were normal.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:53 pm

Hakaman wrote:I've seen some coyotes in my back yard! I don't think they need a silver bullet though.
Abraham Haka
Lot of those on the west side of the state when I lived there. I think coyotes are allergic to lead.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

Rob, I been looking and can't seem to find a store thasat sell Wolfbane anymore. Guess I will keep on using them Silver bullets I bought from Tonto, think he lifted the from the big guys belt one day.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 am

http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/wolfban ... index.html

I don't trust the store-bought stuff. You can grow it, but the best is grown in a secluded, dark forest and picked in the light of a full moon. Of course, minor problems may be encountered during the harvest if one's supply from the previous harvest is depleted.

I have a bar of silver I got with a car purchase. Bullets from it are not as good as the Lone Ranger's. His bullets never missed.

My normal SD bullets are the Jack Bauer brand. They only miss if you intend to miss.