Seeking Bullseye Pistolsmith Recommendation

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Litehart

Seeking Bullseye Pistolsmith Recommendation

Post by Litehart » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 pm

I am new to Bullseye shooting (VERY new!). I would like to get an accurized 1911. Looking for suggestions for a highly-regarded smith who focuses on bullseye work. While I own a kimber gold match II, I'd prefer to buy a frame/pistol proven to be a good foundation and have it accurized for bullseye. I also have a new s&w 41 and ruger mark III target that I'd like modified as well. Some of the names mentioned on the various gun forums appear to be people no longer providing gun smith services (at least I didn't receive any email replies to my inquiries).

Thanks in advance.

J Wright
Treasure Island FL

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Welcome to Guntalk-Online Litehart!

I currently am not taking any more orders - my dance card is full. I will check to see if any of my cohorts have any openings for building new match pistols. What type of 1911 are you looking for? (ex. EIC service pistol, Wadcutter gun, Hardball gun, etc.) Any particular features you're interested in having on your gun?

Sounds to me like you have a good start for a new (beginning) bullseye shooter. You have the good makings for NRA three gun conventional pistol competition. Your Model 41 should be ready to go for 22 and you can shoot the Kimber 1911 for the Centerfire and .45 pistol portions of the competition.

Building match pistols is an art form. You cannot mass produce them, it takes a lot of patience and skill to turn out a great shooting pistol.

R,
Bullseye

Litehart

Post by Litehart » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm leaning towards a wadcutter; not sure what an EIC service pistol is. As far as features, being in the 60+ age group, a red dot would be on the list. I am open to suggestions for additional recommendations.

markIIIronp

Post by markIIIronp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:23 pm

A guy in my gun club shoots a Les Baer Hardball .45 and consistently shoots above 850 with iron sites. They aint cheap though. They run around $1900.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Essentially a EIC 1911 service pistol is the same configuration as a plain 'as issued' service grade 1911 with a few exceptions for triggers and sights. They have also allowed a few modifications to the pistol that does not alter the basic operation of the pistol but are common features in many production pistols today, like flared and lowered ejection ports. This is the pistol configuration rules for those who wish to compete in Excellence in Competition (EIC) matches and earn points toward 'Distinguished Pistol Shot' status.

Below is an excerpt from the NRA Conventional Pistol Rulebook. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... -index.pdf

3.1 General Service Pistol Specifications.

A. Required.

(1) Standard stock of wood or synthetic material, a similar stock of commercial manufacture, or another comparable design that does not interfere with the functional or maintenance features of the pistol.

(2) Metal grips and pachmayr-style wrap around grips are not permitted. The stock must be functionally identical for right or left hand use.

(3) Open sights only with a non-adjustable front sight. The rear sight may be adjustable and must have an open “u” or rectangular notch.

(4) Ammunition requirements for service pistol in Excellence-in-Competition (Leg Matches) are as follows:

(a) Pistol competitors with the .45 Caliber pistol may use any safe ammunition with a 230 grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullet. (See Rule 4-16b CMP Rules and Regulations.)

(b) Pistol competitors with the 9mm pistol may use any safe ammunition with a 115 through 125 grain, full metal jacket, round nosed bullet. (See Rule 4-16c CMP Rules and Regulations)

B. Permitted.

(1) A higher front sight may be used to accommodate the height of the adjustable rear sight. Trigger shoes and stops, internal or external.

(2) External finish may be blued, parkerized, or bright.

(3) All other external alterations or internal modifications to improve functioning and accuracy (e.g., a special match barrel may be fitted). However, the modifications may not interfere with the proper functioning or safety devices of the firearm as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces. All safety features must operate properly.

3.1.1 U.S. pistol, Caliber .45 M1911 or 1911A1 or a commercial pistol of the same type and caliber - The stock must not cover the mainspring housing, or prevent holstering in the standard service holster. The stock must not be more than 1.3" wide between right and left extremities. The trigger may be extended, adjustable, and vented. The mainspring housing may be either straight or arched, checkered or stipples. The mainspring housing may not be covered. The slide may have a curved “relief cut” (Gold Cup dimple) at the rear of the ejection port. The ejection port may be lowered to aid in ejection. A flat surface may be milled in front of and behind the dovetail to aid in securely mounting adjustable rear sights. A cut may be made at the extreme rear of the slide to allow rear sight clearance and vertical movement. The distance between sights, measured from the apex of the front sight to the rear face of the rear sight must not be more than 7.25".

These rules apply for shooting NRA sanctioned matches with a 1911 or other Centerfire pistol.

3.2 Any Center Fire Pistol or Revolver - Center-fire pistols (single shot or semi-automatic)) or revolvers of .32 caliber or larger (including 7.65 mm and .45 caliber pistols and revolvers); barrel length, including cylinder, not
more than 10 inches; trigger pull not less than 2 1/2 pounds, except.45 caliber semi-automatic pistols not less than 3 1/2 pounds. Any Sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Open sights may be adjustable but not over 10 inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. All standard safety features of the gun must operate properly. Programs may specify particular calibers of types of center-fire guns that will be permitted or not permitted in stated event.

3.3 Any .45 Caliber Semi-automatic Pistol or Revolver - Any .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol or revolver; barrel length, including cylinders, not more than 10 inches, trigger pull for revolvers not less than 2 1/2 points, .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol trigger pull not less than 3 1/2 pounds. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Open sights may be adjustable but not over 10 inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. All standard safety features of guns must operate properly.

In addition:

(b) The Center Fire Pistol as described in Rule 3.2 including center fire pistols of .32 caliber or larger may be used in the center fire conventional pistol matches.

(c) The .45 Caliber Semi-automatic Pistol, as described in Rule 3.3, or the U.S. Pistol caliber .45 M1911 or 1911A1 described under Rule 3.1.1 or commercial pistol of the same type and caliber as described in Rule 3.1.1, may be used in conventional .45 caliber matches.

(d) The Service Pistol, as described under Rule 3.1 must be used in an matches approved by the CMP in which credits toward Distinguished designation may be achieved.

3.6 Grips - The grip, or any part of the firearm, may not be extended or constructed in any way which would give any support beyond the hand. The wrist must remain absolutely free and visible when the pistol is held in the firing position. No part of the grip or accessory may encircle the hand (see Fig A). Upward curvature of the heel of the grip may not exceed one inch as shown in Fig. A. Adjustable Grips are permitted as long as they conform to the dimensions as shown in Fig. A.

Hope this helps with some of the terms for competition pistols as per the 2009 rulebook.

R,
Bullseye