Desert Warrior

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:01 pm

That is a bushing wrench to start the disassembly process, then you can pull the spring and remove the slide. Glad to hear you got it, don't worry about warranty and if it may, break just shoot it and enjoy.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 am

This is a link to the Taurus warranty. http://www.taurususa.com/main/repair-policy.cfm. It is for the lifetime of the pistol not just the original owner. How well they honor the warranty gets mixed reviews. Sounds like about the same number of complaints you see on the net for any of the major manufacturer's, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Taurus' reputation for quality isn't that good. My guess is that it has more to do with the very early years than with modern Taurus firearms. The PT1911 seems to be pretty well made, shoots everything I've thrown at it. I've had one box of Independence ammo it sprayed all over an 8.5x11" target at 15 yards. When I changed ammo, the pistol grouped very nicely.

I didn't like the grips on mine and replaced they with a Hogues ($20). Much better feel with those grips.

Enjoy and good shooting.

PS $400 is a pretty good price for almost any 1911 these days.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:16 am

bearandoldman wrote:That is a bushing wrench to start the disassembly process, then you can pull the spring and remove the slide. Glad to hear you got it, don't worry about warranty and if it may, break just shoot it and enjoy.
I don't recall getting one of those with mine. The full length guide rod makes pushing the spring cap in a bit more difficult. So far my thumbnail has worked just fine for that. So, I guess if I had one a bushing wrench, I wouldn't be using it.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:51 am

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:That is a bushing wrench to start the disassembly process, then you can pull the spring and remove the slide. Glad to hear you got it, don't worry about warranty and if it may, break just shoot it and enjoy.
I don't recall getting one of those with mine. The full length guide rod makes pushing the spring cap in a bit more difficult. So far my thumbnail has worked just fine for that. So, I guess if I had one a bushing wrench, I wouldn't be using it.
You may not have got one, if the gun really has a match busing and barrel you just about need one to rotate the tighter fitting bushing. My SA Loaded has a 2 piece guide rod, have to unscrew the end to push in the plug and rotate the bushing. I like the Hogue grips too and have them on all my 1911's. Got some real nice wood grips in the cabinet that I don't use at all. Well I have been known to change them once in a while just to look different.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:57 am

Got some real nice wood grips
Where's a good place to order some from? I like the contrast of wood on black look.
Haka

Sunny and 73deg

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:07 am

Hakaman wrote:
Got some real nice wood grips
Where's a good place to order some from? I like the contrast of wood on black look.
Haka

Sunny and 73deg
Let me see what I have, may be able to make you a deal you ccan not refuse, will e mail you pics and details in the next day or so.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:24 am

Let me see what I have, may be able to make you a deal you ccan not refuse, will e mail you pics and details in the next day or so.
Yea, let me know
Dziekuje bardzo OM
Haka

Sunny and 73deg
Last edited by Hakaman on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 am

Hakaman wrote:
Yea, let me know
Dziekuje bardzo OM
Haka
May get a chance this afternoon, the weather is just too warm and sunny to go to the range today. :D :D :o :o :o :o :o

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:54 am

bearandoldman wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
Yea, let me know
Dziekuje bardzo OM
Haka
May get a chance this afternoon, the weather is just too warm and sunny to go to the range today. :D :D :o :o :o :o :o
Too bright and hot to go to the range today so looked for extra wood grips. Sorry but I can't help you the only extra pair I have is for the Micro or Officer size frame Normally use a set of Hogues on all my guns but do use the original grips on the full size gun t times. Well at least I use the left on when I have the Aimtech mount with the red dot on it. In fact that is the way it is set up now. dziendobri bracze, oldman or dzdza my memory and Polish spelling is atrocious. Lets go Hamtramack but I will be carrying three guns, 2 1911's and a kelTec. When the going gets rough don't call 911 just grab a 1911.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:43 pm

check out the Taurus websit below, someone has some nice looking grips, eh?
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index ... t=next#new
haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Hakaman wrote:check out the Taurus websit below, someone has some nice looking grips, eh?
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index ... t=next#new
haka
Sorry I could not help you with an extra set of cocoobolo grips, the only extra pair I have is for the Micro or the V-10. I have the original cocobolo grips from my full size gun but I use one of them when the red dot is mounted. The Aimtech mount replaces the right hand grip panel.. The wood ones are pretty but I much prefer the Hogue wraparound on all of my 1911's. Here is my full size gun with the wood grip and the red dot

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Sorry I could not help you with an extra set of cocoobolo grips, the only extra pair I have is for the Micro or the V-10. I have the original cocobolo grips from my full size gun but I use one of them when the red dot is mounted. The Aimtech mount replaces the right hand grip panel.. The wood ones are pretty but I much prefer the Hogue wraparound on all of my 1911's. Here is my full size gun with the wood grip and the red dot
I appreciate you looking, I just use the grips that are on the gun right now, I sort of like them. If I happen upon some sometime I might buy them?
Right now I have the gun torn apart for a much needed cleaning. I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it? He had a trigger job done to it though, I it's a little tricky getting things back together, I hope Dr. Haka can handle the procedure. From the looks of the parts in the gun, it appears like it's solidly made, I think a lot a belly aching goes on because people want "their" brand to be the best. Well, time will tell. Right now, I have to get this baby back together.
Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Good luck DR Haka, man it must be really hot here I was on the back porch a while ago and came in all covered with sweat, or was that rain, it was pretty cold come to think of it.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Both Hogue and Packmire(?) have wood/rubber grips that look pretty good. I like the plain ole Hogue rubber grips.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Rob, those are like the ones I have on my short barrel guns, have pair for the full size but right now it has the Aimtech mount with the red dot and it replaces the right hand grip. Just use the stock grip on the left then.