RRA 1911Wadcutter

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:01 pm

stork wrote:bearandoldman,
Dead on.
Magazine springs will not weaken from staying either loaded or unloaded. I think it was on the 1911 forum where someone had posted about firing off a magazine that had been loaded for decades without a hitch.

FWIW
Yup, it wasn't' worn out and tired out it was just waiting patiently? and ready to go.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Mags

Post by stork » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:13 pm

"After about 50 or so rounds the original RRA mags would stop holding the slide open on last shot. After a good cleaning it would stop until 40 or 50 more"

I must be very fortunate, neither of my wad guns or my hardball gun exhibit any magazine related malfunctions, EVER. I put over 6,000 rounds through the same 4 magazines in the last 2 years between my wad guns and hardball gun. I finally cleaned them (kerosene bath only with a complete tear down and scrubbing) after last weeks night at the range. I'm planning on going to Perry again this year and wanted nice clean mags to impress everyone. :) :) :) Yah right!!!

Is magazine failure that commonplace? I've got about 15 assorted ones that feed great on any of my 45's(2 wad guns, 1 hardball, 1 Colt Commander, and one Colt Officers model). Some have a rounded followers, some flat.

How about a quick survey?
How many 1911 shooters out there..
A. Never have mag related malfunctions.
B. Very seldom (1 out of 25 or less).
C. Often (1 out of 5).
D. Every &*&*$)) time.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:37 am

In my personal collection - 'A' for me.

Unless you count that one time during a match when an improperly welded GI mag dumped four rounds on the bench after the first shot of a rapid fire string. The spring and bullets went everywhere, hard to refocus for the next string when your laughing so hard that your eyes are leaking.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:31 am

Bullseye wrote:In my personal collection - 'A' for me.

Unless you count that one time during a match when an improperly welded GI mag dumped four rounds on the bench after the first shot of a rapid fire string. The spring and bullets went everywhere, hard to refocus for the next string when your laughing so hard that your eyes are leaking.

R,
Bullseye
Sure wish that there was a video of that Bulseye, the look on yourr face must haave been awesome. Well I was shooting rapid fire and then the bottom just dropped out, eh?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Ammo dump

Post by stork » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 am

"Unless you count that one time during a match when an improperly welded GI mag dumped four rounds on the bench after the first shot of a rapid fire string"

Now that is one I have never seen. I'm thinking the shooters on either side had a field day with that one. This could be worth years of practical gag gifts. I'm talking duct tape, large sloppy weld jobs, safety bags for emergency ammo dumps, carpeting for protecting those x-ring jewels from bruising themselves on the bench.

You realize you just gave me one more thing to be concerned about.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:12 pm

It ain't a pretty sight when that mag follower spring squirts out the bottom of the pistol. That spring can grow considerably in length when it is no longer restricted by the mag body and the floorplate. There were some poorly spot welded GI magazines back in the mid-80's, they were pulling them out of stock but some were issued, and of course Mr. Murphy never takes a Holiday.

R,
Bullseye

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:12 am

That story reminds me of a situation I've witnessed... The fellow next to me was shooting a 1911 and its barrel bushing failed, sent the plug and recoil spring flying down range.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 am

Bullseye wrote:In my personal collection - 'A' for me.

R,
Bullseye
Do they have a "you ain't going to believe this" alibi category?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 pm

I didn't have a problem qualifying for an alibi, there were plenty of witnesses. My biggest problem was keeping myself and everyone else from giggling. It looked like one of those old time practical joke peanut cans with the spring loaded snakes inside, except this snake jumped out of the bottom of my pistol.

R,
Bullseye