Sighting in an LCP with a Crimson Trace

The place to discuss your favorite centerfire pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 am

bearandoldman wrote: ReAlly don't see the neeD for laser sight on a pocket gun. .
I can see the usefulness on a pocket gun. You could maybe double the distance on a decent group size. And, you can hold the gun over your head or any other position.

I don't have them as I can't justify $250 CT grips on a $300 pistol, and they interfere with available holsters. Point and shoot, forget the sights. My Bobcats can do about 5 inches at 5 yards. That is as good as I need.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm

they are usefull when from shooting from unconventional positions (like on your back after getting knocked down) or from a tucked ready type of position..

greener

Post by greener » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Even at short range the laser should help you get on and stay on target. I don't think I need all that much help at short range and only have one laser and probably wouldn't get another one. But is sure is nice seeing the red dot get onto to the target.

Matt_S

Post by Matt_S » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 am

Agreed greener. That dot may is a deterrent all in itself.

perazzi

Post by perazzi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am

Bigger issue. In a high stress situation do you want to waste valuable time
Looking for your little il' red dot?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm

easier to see than your sights......most folks don't see the sights at all in a gunfight, so the studies say

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:49 pm

bgreenea3 wrote:easier to see than your sights......most folks don't see the sights at all in a gunfight, so the studies say

Who needs sights? Had them on my shotguns and can never really remember seeing them. Shot a lot of 25's on skeet and even with a .410.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:40 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
bgreenea3 wrote:easier to see than your sights......most folks don't see the sights at all in a gunfight, so the studies say

Who needs sights? Had them on my shotguns and can never really remember seeing them. Shot a lot of 25's on skeet and even with a .410.
Longer barrel to look down and a much wider pattern at 25 yards than you are going to get with a .380.

If you want to limit need to aim, try a Taurus Judge with bird shot.
Based on what the front of the pistol shed looks like at my range, the pattern must be 3' at 10'.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

Longer barrel to look down and a much wider pattern at 25 yards than you are going to get with a .380.
Actually at about 22 to 25 yards is where you take a skeet target the .380 with 6 shots will pattern the same as my old skeet .410, about 18 to 20 inches. You know the barrel is longer but when I shot skeet and clays I never even saw the barrel, but I did know where it was. On the middle skeet stations you have to be about 4 feet in front of the target to center it in the pattern.
If I ever need to use the .380 the range will mast likely be 5 yards or under anyway. Point and shoot until empty then beat Hell out of them.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:38 am

bearandoldman wrote:Actually at about 22 to 25 yards is where you take a skeet target the .380 with 6 shots will pattern the same as my old skeet .410, about 18 to 20 inches. You know the barrel is longer but when I shot skeet and clays I never even saw the barrel, but I did know where it was. On the middle skeet stations you have to be about 4 feet in front of the target to center it in the pattern.
If I ever need to use the .380 the range will mast likely be 5 yards or under anyway. Point and shoot until empty then beat Hell out of them.
my buddy says you empty the mag at'em and throw the gun at 'em as you are runnin' away....not really my theory but it sounds good

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 am

bgreenea3 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Actually at about 22 to 25 yards is where you take a skeet target the .380 with 6 shots will pattern the same as my old skeet .410, about 18 to 20 inches. You know the barrel is longer but when I shot skeet and clays I never even saw the barrel, but I did know where it was. On the middle skeet stations you have to be about 4 feet in front of the target to center it in the pattern.
my buddy says you empty the mag at'em and throw the gun at 'em as you are runnin' away....not really my theory but it sounds good
Makes sense to me, but as running would probably kill me anyway, I would just beat on him as long as possible.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:35 am

The Nike defense probably worked better about 1975 than it does now for some reason. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 am

greener wrote:The Nike defense probably worked better about 1975 than it does now for some reason. :lol:
Them shoes sure did work better that yeaar. Have tried new shoes, but they sure don't make them like they did in the 70's. Manufacturing processes and materials must have changed radically