Need One?

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Need One?

Post by greener » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't have a centerfire rifle of any type. I don't even have a "tactical" rimfire. I've been toying with the idea getting a centerfire of some time and the President just said that us civilians didn't need an AK47, they should be left to the trained military. Since my military experience was that we had very few AK's in our trained hands. But that comment has pushed me toward getting one.

My LGS is advertising a group of Bushmaster XM15ES2's (fair condition), a couple of Ruger Mini 14's in .223/5.56 and an M&P-15 Sport. I haven't looked at any of them, so I have no idea what "fair" condition means. Any thoughts on the three? Or one of the Rem 700's?

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 pm

the Mini is very m1carbine/m14 like in operation and is a great reliable gun, lots of add-ons out there for the Mini. mags are more expesive than for the Ar15.

the Bushy is a fine gun as well made to milspec, I would reccomend a flattop to make adding a Scope easier.

the m&p sport is excellent, it just deletes the dust cover and forward assist to bring the cost down.

I've got an AK47 in 7.62x39 that is a awesome fun gun to shoot, the ak74 in 5.45x39 is just as good and ammo is cheap for both.... not as accurate as an AR but loads of fun.

the SKS is antother option if you like wood and steel, too.

or you could go for a m1a from springfield........ and relive your ROTC days......
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:23 pm

My tactical black gun is an S&W 15-22, looks just lie the real ones but you can expend a lot of rounds at minimum expense, I use a lot of CCI Blazer in mnie. Have a holographic sight on it and it is a fun plonker at 5 to 10 yard, that is all I want it for.
For accuracy I use a Savage12BVSS in .223, damn a ten pound gun shoots nice.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:11 pm

What do you want to do with the gun? Have it just to have it, or shoot it? You've been given a pretty good run down on the rifles. If you want the carbine then the Bushy is likely the way to go, lots of parts and support for these rifles. If you just want to have an AK to have one, great you can get a Romanian WASR version at a decent price. I'm not a big fan of the mini-14, not as accurate as I like but then again I do precision competitive marksmanship, you're getting this to meet your needs.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 am

I shoot everything I own, so if I bought one of these, it would be to shoot. I'm a recreational shooter, so my standards for accuracy and precision are a bit below yours. I was not a big fan of the M16's our uncle said we needed. We weren't very accurate and we sometimes struggled with that. The AR's I've fired over the past few years seem to be better than the M16A1's I remember shooting.

The Bushmaster may be the way to go since it seems to be more in line with the AR parts supply if I want to get into one of these erector sets.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

They've made a lot of improvements to the AR platform accuracy-wise since the early days of the model. Heavier barrels, better sight controls, and free float tubes have had their impact on the design since the A1 versions emerged. An AK isn't known for terrific accuracy either, but it is reliable under harsh circumstances.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 am

Greener,

Did anything follow you home from the local gun shop this weekend?

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:30 am

Bullseye wrote:Greener,

Did anything follow you home from the local gun shop this weekend?

R,
Bullseye
Did you spend any more of the littler greeners inheritance??
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 am

Not yet

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:38 am

Without the repeal of the "one gun a month law", you would be what, at least two guns behind now? .............. :roll:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:16 pm

ruger22 wrote:Without the repeal of the "one gun a month law", you would be what, at least two guns behind now? .............. :roll:
At least 3. Does ordering to mags for a Winchester Model 69 decrease my deficit?

Got to looking around and I can get new for about the price of the used Bushmasters. Also, started looking at bolt guns, talked to a couple of black rifles are erector set guys, and... I think the parts swapping guys were speaking English, but the technospeak was going past me.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:36 pm

This video reminded me of someone in this forum, but I just can't remember who it was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Hakaman wrote:This video reminded me of someone in this forum, but I just can't remember who it was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU
I resemble that.

Actually, you need to meet my son-in-law.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Steve Lee is Australian. With their strict gun laws, how does he have so many???? And MGs, grenade launchers? I wouldn't mind having his ammo budget, either.

If you look on the right side, there are several more videos by him. I didn't know he did more after "I Like Guns".
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 pm

They are not his but they are props, or borrowed at mg shoots, like knob creek. Good video
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne