The Original SR MicroSight

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

The Original SR MicroSight

Post by Hakaman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Being frustrated with a blurry front sight while shooting my AR-15 in the Service Rifle League,
I splurged and bought the "Original SR Microsight", from Creedmoors. I have yet to use
it at the range, but did try them out aiming through the front window (AR unloaded ! )
and it seems to bring the front sight into crystal clear focus. The distance clearness
seemed to be somewhat clear as well, but I am looking through 2 panes of glass. I don't think
neighbors would appreciate me setting up out in the back yard and trying to evaluate them outside,
no sense of humor I guess. Hopefully the weather will hold up tomorrow as I plan to go out to
the range and give them the test run.
Haka
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/pr ... KgodFy6q-g

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2857

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I just had to brave the cold weather today so I could try out the new SR Microsight on my NM AR-15.
I have to say 'this thing works'! I shot two same sized targets (I ran out of my shoot-n-see's) at 100 yards,
and there was a significant difference in results, as shown in the attached photos. Also, the photos
in this link are very much a representation of "what" the sight picture looks like with the Microsight in place:
(Illustrations 1 & 3 are pretty much what I encounter, with, and without the MS)
http://www.auburnscouts.com/stallingsma ... ompare.htm
Both targets were shot at 100 yards, one right after the other.
Ammo = 69gr Match http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/s ... t1556.html
Shot from bench rest @ 1 rd/ 7 secs.
Weather = Sunny, calm, 25 deg, visibility good.
Note: Notice the different area of the target the rounds hit, as the sights were NOT adjusted from one target to the other.
......10 shots with .040" NM peep sight.............................12 shots with SR Micro Sight in place
ImageImage

Haka

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Haka, I would say the SA Microsight looks like a winner for sure.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Did you really see the front sight and target better as the manufacturer claims? The group is much tighter and shot placement is consistent with a new sight. One minute of right windage looks like you would have been all over the center.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Did you really see the front sight and target better as the manufacturer claims? The group is much tighter and shot placement is consistent with a new sight. One minute of right windage looks like you would have been all over the center.
I will try to be as accurate as I can with your question inre of how I saw the front sight and target with, and without the SR Microsight.
http://www.auburnscouts.com/stallingsma ... ompare.htm
First off, the results are as you "see" in my two photos. I can't explain why the groups are in different locations on the targets, but that's just the way it turned out. I didn't want to adjust the sights to hit the very center because I wanted to make the test as fair as I could. Everything was identical from one target to the other, except 2 things.
1) different style of target, one was a "shoot-n-see" stuck on the red 100yd sight in target, and the other was a black 100 yd target, alone. Actually, the shoot-n-see is a deeper black, which in my estimation, shows up better. The size of the black centers on both targets were identical. What all this means to me is that both targets were, for all practical purposes, the same.
2) The second difference was the "Microsight", used in the more successful grouped target.
How did the sight picture look to me?
Through the original .040" peep sight, my sight picture looks "worse" then picture #1. Not only does the target look much blurrier, the front post looks like 3 blurry front posts out of "phase" with each other. Imagine three front sight posts, somewhat opaque, mixing up together. Couple that with a blurry target, and you have an idea the difficulty I have. I also find myself "pulling off" of my sight to squint and "regroup" my focus, wasting time and causing some confusion. (none of that with the MS installed.)
Through the SR Microsight, the front post is now in clear focus (what a gift), maybe not as crisp as #3, but still a significant improvement. I now see only a single, "infocus", front sight and the target almost like that of #3 photo. Keep in mind that the photos in the link appear to be taken in somewhat more ideal conditions. Nonetheless, what I seen in my tests was "impressive". My targets tell the story: if you can't see the target, you most likely will miss it. I will finish with this thought, based on the possibility of losing this tiny MS upon changing it in and out with my peep sight: "If I lost it, I would definitely buy another" !
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 pm

I just see the groups. The aiming black looks about the same for both targets. I was wondering how the product lived up to the claims of clearer sight picture. Sounds like you saw an improvement in the sight picture and your shots were more consistent with it.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:02 am

Sounds like you saw an improvement in the sight picture and your shots were more consistent with it.
For me. the difference was significant and well worth the investment.
Thanks, Haka

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 am

Hakaman wrote:
Sounds like you saw an improvement in the sight picture and your shots were more consistent with it.
For me. the difference was significant and well worth the investment.
Thanks, Haka
It's just like a lot of things, if it works for you that is the main thing. It may not be the hot ticket for everyone, I guess that is why ice cream comes in so many different flavors. What works for one may not work for all.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:54 pm

I guess that is why ice cream comes in so many different flavors. What works for one may not work for all.
Good point OM.
Haka