AR-15 Rifling Question

The place to discuss AR style or other tactical rifles.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

AR-15 Rifling Question

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:38 pm

I have ventured into the AR platform and have a question about the ratching rifling vs std?
Here is a link showing the difference http://www.shilen.com/ratchetRifle.html

Is this type of rifling inherently more accurate for heavier bullets? And how does it preform for the ligher 55gr. I'm building me a varmint gun and looking for a high grade barrel. But I will be shooting the cheaper bulk ammo too. On my property I do not have any area that requires a shot past 100 yrds , but neighbors around me 300yds is very doable. Main use will be for the coyotes and paper punching. I have another gun for the hogs, 458 SOCOM :D With night vision setup for it.

Also if have the barrel fluted, will it impact the accuracy of these bull barrels?

Like this https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arm ... barrel-sdm Don't like looks of the spiral cuts.

or his http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/2 ... l-6-8-spc/

These erector set guns give you a lot of options.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: AR-15 Rifling Question

Post by Bullseye » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm

I haven't done anything with 'Ratchet' rifling so I cannot provide an informed opinion on your question.

R,
Bullseye

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Blue,

While I hate to mention another website while here on GTO, perhaps you should ask your question over on AR15.com. Someone over there is bound to have an answer for you.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:19 am

My research indicates indicates it's only offered on the fast twist 1:8. Apparently it works good for the 80gr and up where you have a long body bullet. No indications of it being as effective on the lighter shorter bullets. I decided to go with the std button rifling for this build.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Listing other websites in posts to assist our members is not discouraged here, the main thing is to help a fellow member in need. I know that there are other websites frown upon the practice but this forum is all about helping fellow shooters.

I am glad you found info that helps with your question. I shoot a lot of 69, 77, and 80 grain bullets with the faster twist standard rifling barrels and achieve superior results with the choice. You should do well with yours in that it provides you with more flexibility with the lighter bullets too.

R,
Bullseye