Reloading defense ammo

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Sebago

Reloading defense ammo

Post by Sebago » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 am

Why is it recomended to buy defense ammo and not roll your own?

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 am

Popular urban legends about attorneys who will vilify and portray the defendant as a maniac who wasn't satisfied with the performance and lethality of over the counter ammo and subsequently felt the need to make their own.

That being said, to the best of my knowledge this has never happened. If the shooting is justified, the ammo used is not a cause for concern. If the shooting isn't justified, well lets just say the ammo used is going to be way way down on the list of trouble you'd be in.

On a personal level, I don't trust factory ammo for my carry purposes. I've seen too many dud's in commercially made 'Target Grade' centerfire ammo by several of the top ammo manufacturers in the world.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Sebago

Post by Sebago » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 am

On a personal level, I don't trust factory ammo for my carry purposes. I've seen too many dud's in commercially made 'Target Grade' centerfire ammo by several of the top ammo manufacturers in the world.
That is what I was thinking. I would rather trust my own life on my quality than someone else's

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Misfires can happen with any type of ammo which is why it is always good to practice "Tap, Rack, Bang" drills for clearing them.

R,
Bullseye

Sebago

Post by Sebago » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Tap, rack and bang?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 am

A name for a practice drill to clear and fire misfires in a combat situation. Tap the botttom of the magazine hard with the heel of your hand to force a partially seated magazine fully into the frame. You quickly rack the slide with the weak hand and rapidly fire. This type of drill makes clearing jams instinctive and turns it into muscle memory, you don't have time to troubleshoot in the middle of a gunfight.

When you have time to troubleshoot, like under match conditions it is better to determine the failure's cause and correct it.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 am

Another reason I think revolvers are good for SD. No tap and rack ever. No bang? Just pull the trigger again.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

I reload to match factory carry ammo performance. It's very hard to next to imposable to match SD ammo. Mfg do not release the bullets or low flash powder to the public. Gold Dot is the only one I know that you can actually get the bullets. With a crony you can match the velocity but not the low flash used.

I prefer not to give them any thing extra to deal with if it ever comes. Each state is different when it come to CC Laws. You need to know what your state is.

In most states, your responsible for every thing your bullet hits and that means after it leaves the body. So over penetration is/should be a concern. Law enforcement has a different requirement. They may have to shoot through windshields and other surfaces hard to penetrate.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Unless you're in New York City and spray bullets all over innocent bystanders.

R,
Bullseye

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:03 pm

ruger22 wrote:Another reason I think revolvers are good for SD. No tap and rack ever. No bang? Just pull the trigger again.
It's a slap to the cylinder to make sure its fully closed for an immediate action drill with a wheelgun..... Each weapon type has its own manual of arms to learn.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Bullseye wrote:Unless you're in New York City and spray bullets all over innocent bystanders.

R,
Bullseye
And they wonder why their Liability Insurance is so HIGH.... :?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911