Winchester AutoComp

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Winchester AutoComp

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I have been loading 38sp and 9mm with Winchester AutoComp for about a year. It seems a little unstable to me. I'm not an experienced reloader, like some who have been loading for years, but have better results with Bullseye and W231. I seem to get inconsistent power results, sometimes almost a squib. When I load with W231 or Bullseye, the rounds seems to shoot more consistent. The problem is that I have a large container of the stuff, 8 lbs. I hate to waste the powder, but I don't like the results of it. Anybody have similar experiences?

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 pm

I've only ever used 3 powders for pistol rounds, Green Dot , WST and Bullseye. The only one I got horribly inconsistent results with is the Green Dot, which is actually a shotshell powder. Immediately I knew it was because of the flake size of the Green Dot. The flakes are very large and because of this it leaves a lot of empty space in the powder bar of my Dillon. Based on how the random powder fell into the bar, I was getting very large variances in the weight of the powder throw. When I tried out the Winchester WST, it was a different story. The throws I get with WST have very small deviations. After that, I tried Bullseye which gives me even more consistent throws. Perhaps Winchester AutoComp's flakes are large causing the same issues I had with Green Dot.

Nowadays, I just stick with Bullseye and WST, and hang onto the big 5lb jug of Green Dot until I decide to reload for shotguns.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:51 pm

I haven't use Autocomp but the talk I've heard is that it works best with higher pressure rounds like 9mm, 40sw, and 45acp.

A lot of shotgun powders work really well for pistol rounds, universal clays is a great pistol powder for example. BOAM loves green dot . and bluedot is good for heavy magnum loads.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:30 pm

S&W 686-6" 357magnum (not compensated)
38sp Berry plated 125gr FP Win AutoComp / 6.0 gr
1.440" Roll Crimped

Glock 34 (not compensated)
9mm Berry plated 115gr RN Win AutoComp / 5.0gr
1.10" Taper Crimp

Taurus PT1911 (not compensated)
45acp Berry Plated 200gr SWC Win AutoComp / 7.2gr
1.220" Taper Crimp

Ruger Blackhawk Convertable 45 (not compensated)
45LC 255gr FP Plated w/ Cannelure Win AutoComp / 7.7gr
1.590" Roll Crimped

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 am

I think Georgezilla nailed it with powder shape. I have the same issue if I try to use Unique in my LNL-AP press. I can get a consistant load if I do it manually by doing multiple a taps to get the powder to settle before dumping the charge. Can not do this with a AP press.

For 9mm I like the WSF and 231. I use 231 for the lighter 115gr and WSF for my 124gr. Both of these (WSF & WST) are shotgun powders.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

Any of the flake type powders get you a lot of variation due to the way they can leave air spaces in the measure. The ball powders are the most consistent in weight as they meter very well. Trail Boss in the Cheerio shape meters poorly also and is more bulky so the weights vary less. I use Green Dot mainly because I used a lot of it in 12,20 and 28 gauge shot shell when I used to shot 300 to 500 rounds a week on sporting clays.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

When using flake powders in a progressive press, I ensure that the powder hopper level doesn't drop below half way to ensure a consistent charge in the cases.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Bullseye wrote:When using flake powders in a progressive press, I ensure that the powder hopper level doesn't drop below half way to ensure a consistent charge in the cases.

R,
Bullseye
I haven't tried keeping the level above half way, but I do measure
the loads every ten rounds or so just to make sure. I have found the
Uniflow powder measure (rcbs) to slightly increase the load as the
number of rounds increase(1-2 tenths). It appears your theory is a good one. I
just have a single stage press, but the powder measure idea is the same.
Haka