PMC primers

The place to discuss reloading techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

PMC primers

Post by Medicine Hat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 am

About a year ago, when primers were VERY hard to get in this area, I picked up some PMC small pistol, and large pistol size primers. I just started to use some a couple weeks ago, and I'm finding some of them take more effort to seat compared to CCI or Winchester. I had some "high primers" that evaded my notice and tied up a revolver (twice) in a match last month. I've also had a couple fail to fires from them. This in a batch of 250 round that I loaded. Never had any of that with CCI or WIN over many years.
Anyway it put me on notice to be very careful to check for that issue with the PMCs.
Worst part is that now I have 4,000 of them to use up some way or another.
I use a Dillon RL 550 B that has loaded thousands of rounds several calibers, both rifle and pistol, without a hiccup for several years until this. But with the PMCs I do notice it takes more pressure on the handle to seat those primers. Sometimes, but not always.
Anyone else had issues with PMC??

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 am

When I've had trouble with seating primers I'd use my Dillon Super Swage and ream then out a little. Since I shoot mostly auto pistol rounds and most of that is military brass, they have the primer pockets crimped, that super swage just presses those crimp dents right out of the pockets and the primers seat nicely into the cases. Even if your brass is not crimped, try swaging some of the brass and see if that doesn't help with your PMC primers.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 am

PMC has a reputation for being hard to seat. You may try hitting your primmer pockets with a reamer putting a camphor on the mouth helps. Bullseye suggestion of using a swager may be faster. I ended up with about 10k SP Wolf primers when things got scarce, and have not had any problems with what I have used yet. They have a reputation of having a hard cap and QC varies between lots. So far no problem with them.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

My first thought was to try reaming the primer pockects of the brass you are using like you would with rifle brass. but Blue beat me to that suggestion I see. if you ream 500 or so that would be 8 reloadings with your 4k of pmc primers. or you could trade someone youknow for cci or winchester if they like the PMC better