November scores here

The place to post targets and info for the GTOL .22 Postal League.

Moderators: Bullseye, perazzi, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

November scores here

Post by Python » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Registered outdoor short coarse today in sunny arizona.

SF 93-3
TF 99-1
RF 100-4

NMC 292-8x

.22 total 872-31x

2700 total 2548-73x

I had fun today.

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Ruger MKIII, Ultradot, 50' indoor league match

SF 93

TF 97-5X

RF 100-6X

NMC 290-11X

I had another good night tonight, hope I can maintain scores like this through out the season. I can't complain with a score like this for me, but my last shot of slow fire I jerked one into the six ring. It's strange that I seem to shoot rapid better than timed, even though last year I started shooting my timed in ten seconds, I think knowing I only have ten seconds makes me focus harder, and really get into a smooth rhythm.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:28 am

It's more like you're not trying to make them all perfect and are mostly concentrating more on your trigger control and recovery. Making them all perfect is what causes the shots to frog all over the target face.

R,
Bullseye

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:04 pm

while I'll just sneak in here on the bottom.......

SF 170- 50ft Open sights
NMC 266-4x - 25yds Red Dot
TF 187-3x
RF 188-5x
811-12x....Hey I'm climbing into Expert .......

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Again

Post by Pete D. » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 am

Talk about being stuck. I am stuck.
You guys are tough...great scores.

SF - 92
TF - 96 3X
RF - 88 3X
NMC - 276 6X

I used to be able to shoot rapid fire. My SFs are OK but sustained fire ain't for sure.
Victor, UltraDot, Falcon barrel, Blaser .22s

Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:57 am

Pete, a couple things that have really helped my sustained fire are, focusing very hard on the black of the target, I have a tendency to watch the dot, and when you do that you end up steering the gun all over the place. And the second is obviously trigger control. My trigger control thought that has been working lately is to think of it like you are trying to pull the gun straight back into the web of your hand using only the trigger finger. I don't know if you golf, but it's like if you have 10 swing thoughts, bad things will happen. Try to find one or two useful thoughts, and keep it simple. A lot of practice always helps to, but that can be difficult depending on time and money. Your slow fires a pretty good, In my opinion you have the toughest part out of the way. If you can, I also have become a fan of practicing with a mp3 player, with range commands and a timer. You can get the mp3's at Bullseyepistol.com

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

good ideas

Post by Pete D. » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:50 am

Plaza: Thanks for those ideas. That focus on the black instead of the dot is a particularly good suggestion. I will be trying that as well as the trigger control as you suggested.
I have plenty of time to practice (I am retired) and the range is only a three minute walk from my home. I just need to avail myself of the convenience.

This "stuckness" is frustrating for me. I have been doing this Bullseye stuff - with greater or lesser dedication for years. Fifteen years ago I was working my way toward Master and then....I got sidetracked....all good stuff but not shooting. Every guy that I shared a line with back then is a Master shooter now. Trying to get back is hard; though I have flashes of the old me, I am not happy with those sustained fire results.
Thanks again. Your suggestions are great.
Pete
"Only hunting and mountain climbing are sports. The rest are just games." - R.Ruark

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 pm

I can relate to you with me playing golf. I started out young, but gave it up for years. I have been playing again for a couple years, and really wish I would have stuck with it. Golf is a very frustrating game, and I know I would be much better if I never quit. But really, trying to improve is the name of the game, and it's what keeps us coming back. Even master, and high master shooters look at there scores and say to them self it could have been better. I get a lot of the guys at the range saying " these darn young kids, it's not fare", they are being friendly about it, but I don't think they realize how much I practice. Youth definitely helps, but I really think if you put in the effort, most people could improve by a decent amount. There are a couple master shooters i shoot with that are over 70, and I know they practice. Your scores will come around I'm sure, don't forget to have fun, I am very guilty of that.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

focus

Post by Pete D. » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:19 am

I have been trying that "focus on the black and not the dot"technique. I like the idea and was having success with it. Tried a gallery last night though (our league .22 matches are coming to and end. Centerfire matches start.) 92 SF, 96 TF and the rapid went all to hell. Right after that, though, I shot a gallery with my .45 at 284 8X (90, 99-7x, 95 -1X). Go figure. Bigger holes, more points. The focus on the black worked just fine there.
It'll come.
Pete

keithj
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by keithj » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:04 am

Personal best for me
NMC-281-3x
SF-168..........Open Sights for these 2
TF-188-5x
RF-191-6x
Total- 828-14x......That puts me into Expert very nicely....Now can I maintain it :?

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

working better

Post by Pete D. » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 am

I shot outdoors on Sunday - I won't even post the scores - it was not a real match and my shooting was not very good in any case, averaging just over 270.
Last night I was indoors practicing that "concentrate on the black rather than the dot" technique. That is developing quite nicely (Thank you, Plazashooter). I also tried an approach that, I am told, Darius Young used in SF - that is to shoot the entire thing in one minute. I shot a 96 using that approach. But TF - fell off to 94. RF - good for me, was a 97. But....practice ain't a match.
Pete

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Ruger MKIII, Ultadot, CCI SV, 50' indoors

SF 88

TF 99-7X

RF 99-4X

NMC 286-11X