Which hold for IDPA/IPSC

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Which hold for IDPA/IPSC

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:45 am

I was wondering what you guys think is a good hold for any speed type shooting?
At the moment I think I'm leaning towards a center hold.

For bullseye style I use the 6 O'clock hold, but I don't think that would be much good for fast on the move shooting. Seems like with the 6 hold I would miss a lot of head hits if I was trying to do them on the move, but I haven't done an IDPA or IPSC match yet so for all I know this could not be the case, so any advice would be helpful :P

Thanks!

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

What Sights Do You Have?

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 am

Generally speaking for any combat/speed type of shooting you want your front sight adjusted to center of impact. On an IDPA or IPSC target there is no bullseye so there is nothing to use for a 6 o'clock hold.

Target sights are usually not suitable for this type of shooting. Most people prefer some sort of highly visible dots, two on the rear sight and one on the front, or else a post and dot configuration. You want something you can pick up easily and align quickly. And you want the bullet to print exactly where the front sight is held.

DWs

flyfishtom

Post by flyfishtom » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:05 am

I use Dawson Precision sights on my IDPA gun. They have a plain black rear and a very small red insert for the front. I like the red insert. It really helps me pick up the front sight. It also keeps my eyes on the front when shooting steel targets.