Grip?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Grip?

Post by greener » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 am

My LC9 has tended to shoot high. At least a foot at 15 yards. But since it is a short range point shooter for my purposes, I haven't paid much attention t mechanics other than to do some cockamamie stuff like putting the front sight low when I aimed it.

Saturday I changed my grip slightly and moved the right finger position from pad to almost first joint. And we started shooting pretty much dead on when I aimed. (7 yards).

Now all I got to do is figure out what I was doing. I don't think I was rocking the gun up when I fired it since I don't do that with anything else. Maybe I was. Now to go back and see if I can repeat better shooting with the pistol.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 am

Sometimes the grip give you a different pressure point in the hand. Moving back on the finger pad may have moved this. All depends on how fat the grip and how hard the trigger is to pull. I have 1 gun that I tend to push down and it's all about the grip.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 am

By adjusting your finger pad placement you are achieving a "straight rearward pull" which is the key to marksmanship. Different pistol models have varying lengths of pull and you may find that you have to shift to attain that direct rearward motion. Your new finger position may also have a dual effect, whereby you are now concentrating more on proper technique because of the unfamiliar finger placement. Either one of these may be contributing the higher success rate in your hits.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

I do "some cockamamie stuff like like putting the front sight low when I aim it"......... :lol:..........Actually all of mine shoot low, so I raise it.

I've never filed a front sight. After all, on fixed-sight guns the sight blade height is good for only one distance anyway. You still raise or lower it for every other distance.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols