Grip placement

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Grip placement

Post by stork » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 am

OK,
Mark II wanted some different threads on BE shooting so I'll get the ball rolling with this one.

In order for my wobble area to be minimized I have to place the heel of the grip (relative to the lifeline) in different locations. My Rugers require the heel to straddle the lifeline, where the 1911's need to be on the line, but towards the outside of the pad at the base of the thumb.

As long as I remember to seat them appropriately, I reduce my wobble area by at least 1 scoring ring.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm

My hand is too thick to establish the Zins grip with the stock 45. My best hold employs forearm muscles to firm the wrist.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am

To set my grip I form a u shape with my gun hand. I then place the gun in the u shape with my left hand. I wiggle it around and slowly close my hand. I now started to push on the front of my red dot with my left palm to set the finally position.
I'm trying two grips. The plain grips that came with the gun and Volq grips. I thought I might do better with the Volq. grips but think I get better groups with the plain stock grips.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:56 pm

That is interesting Stork, that you have different grip locations. I'm guessing that your reducing the torque of the gun so your group size is smaller. I think by pushing on the red dot it gets my hand into the grip good and straight back. When I push hard it almost feels like recoil so I think it sets the gun in there good.
Doesn't seem there is much interest in this..... but if you guys don't mind give it a few more days and switch topics.