open sights

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

open sights

Post by mark II » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 pm

So I have a question. This is for indoor 50ft bullseye shooting and all things being equally. I guess by being equally I mean your vision wouldn't make a difference or anything else. My question is do you think you give up a lot of points using open sites. I always felt if your using a dot you would gain 10 points, what do you think? In the leagues I shoot everyone uses a dot.
Thanks

greener

Post by greener » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:43 am

I don't shoot competitively, but I shoot pistols with open sights and pistols with dots. Unless you are quite a shooting phenomenon, you will always shoot better with a dot than with open sights, if you are not doing something else to aid visual acuity. It seems like the really good BE shooters use every advantage they can. http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwo ... ml#occlude

Also, the quality of the pistol has a lot to do with scores. I've noticed the ones I shoot have gotten blurrier front sights and have become shakier over the past few years. I'm sure the expensive target pistols don't have that problem. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 am

With a dot sight you don't have to be concerned with alignment errors like you do with a front and rear iron sight. This gives the shooter more time to focus on the trigger control.

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I have to guess as I don't have my log book at work. But, I would say at least 6 points less for slow fire and 8-12 points less for timed & rapids.
Last edited by stork on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

This is an interesting subject for me. I never really tried open sights. I bought a Mark I standard and that came with open sights which I used for one match and did ok but had it tapped and added a red dot. I hate to kill my average now that the leagues have started but found shooting open sights not that bad. In the back of my mind something tells me to try them for awhile. To me it seems you have more reference points with open sights which should help with groups. You have the top of the sights and you have equal sides, with a dot you have a dot in a tube. Then again nobody uses open sights for bullseye aleast where I shoot. And then there is an average to worry about. Any thoughts......
Thanks

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:58 am

The more variable you have to worry about the less accurate you will be. The reason dot sights work so well you only have 1 task, put dot where you want it to go.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am

If you are really practiced, it does not matter. Look at the Bullseye 2700 record.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks guys for the input. I had a chance to borrow a Bomar sight which I put on my Mk I. But, there was a few problems. Guess I would need to get a different front sight because I had the Bomar bottomed out and it was shooting high. Secondly, my vision, I would have to try a merit or eyepal because the Bomar wasn't real crisp.
One thing I did discover was the glasses I'm using now makes my red dot tube fuzzy. The dot and target is fine just the tube which for me is a refence point is not very clear. Might make a difference......

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 am

Normally when the dot is not clear your looking for it (or over driving brightness) and not at the target. But again I have a bad astigmatism problem and my dot most of the time has tails. Not near as bad with my new glasses though.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911