Hi-power practice with rimfire rifles?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Hi-power practice with rimfire rifles?

Post by cousin jack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm a "born-again" high power shooter, returning after a couple of decades (Bucket List issue -- want to get my Distinguished).

I have a good AR, and a thousand good rounds for it, and a thousand more primed and trimmed brass. My question is: I'd like a dedicated .22lr upper for practice since I have unlimited access to an indoor range, but -- wowsers! -- I can't afford a good .22lr upper because my mad money is pret' near exhausted after buying the AR and ammo...

I do, however, have a good Anschutz 1813 and an Anschutz 1710. I think I'll come up some sort of indoor practice routine using one of these. I'm primarily concerned with the rapid fire sitting position since I haven't been shooting that one. Anyone have any ideas of how best to practice Hi-Power rapid with the rimfires I have?

The 1813 is in an aluminum PDC stock that almost duplicates the AR specs, but it is a single shot..... The 1710 is a repeater but with a different feel than the 1813......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:51 pm

You could always practice repeatedly dropping into position and breaking that first shot in the sitting position. Establishing the position is key to how the whole string will run. If you have to spend an inordinate amount of time finding the NPA then you'll be rushing through the rest of the shots and forget to breathe and blink in between the shots.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines..... think I'll use the Anschutz 1813, maybe rig some irons on it, and even practice by sitting and finding the position, fire, reload rapidly from a container of bulk, re-establish npa, then fire again, and so... can you think of anyway that could screw me up?

Here's my "AR-like" Annie below.......

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:01 am

Get a set of Anschutz match adjustable sights for your rifle. Any positional work will help your shooting, especially in off-hand shooting. My service rifle scores took a huge jump way back when I started 3 postion smallbore rifle shooting.

That sure is a pretty stock on that Annie! I'm going to have to see if my old 1400 series action would fit into one of those. I see great potential for practicing NRA high power match rifle with one of those.

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am

Craig at PDC kind of custom-made mine for me, and since he doesn't have an FFL, he had to find someone close to him with an Anschutz so he could do the measurements. When it came, it fit fairly well, although a machinist friend had to hog out some near the tang...... $500.

He's making them for all kinds of rifles, shouldn't be too hard to get one for yours....

http://pdccustom.com/

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:23 am

After looking over the website I see that your stock is more custom than I thought. PDC doesn't list a stock for the Anschutz action. However there's a lot of modular construction to the design and a little cutting is all that's needed to make a tailored fit. Which stock action style did they use as the base for your Annie?

R,
Bullseye

cousin jack
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by cousin jack » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:42 am

Bullseye wrote:After looking over the website I see that your stock is more custom than I thought. PDC doesn't list a stock for the Anschutz action. However there's a lot of modular construction to the design and a little cutting is all that's needed to make a tailored fit. Which stock action style did they use as the base for your Annie?

R,
Bullseye
CZ 452 22 Long Rifle Stock
(I remember this because I told him to provide it in any color except that unholy green! Lol.....). And I think his stocks are completely modular, and only the bedding has to be cut. I remember us talking about the long accessory rail, too.

You might call Craig, and mention Mel from Ellensburg, Wa. Hopefully, he'll remember our transaction, and maybe even have the "coordinates" or parameters still in his machine. Is there that much difference between an 1800 versus a 1400? A round action Match 54, right? Feel free to send him my picture if his memory needs jogging.....

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 am

I read the review article at Sniper Central and saw the internal action channel cuttings in the billet. With so many options I may forgo the .22 and look into building a .223 x-course match gun.

R,
Bullseye