Bullseye shooters, what guns are you using ?

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bullseye shooters, what guns are you using ?

Post by Python » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I see a lot of different guns on the line at matches and wondered what you guys and or gals are partial to when it counts.

This is my equipment and I have no backups.

.22 = S&W model 41 with 4 dot Match dot.
CF & .45 = Rock River .45 with 4 dot Match dot.
Distinguished Revolver = 1980's Colt custom shop 6" Python
EIC service pistol = 92FS built by Dave Salyer

Clarence Perkins
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:34 pm

My .22 match pistol is the M-41, 5.5bbl with UD30 dot sight.

My CF wad gun is built on a Caspian frame with a 5" Fred Kart match barrel, UD30.

My CF iron sight gun is a Colt S-70, Kart 5" match barrel, BowMar Tuner rib on top.

My Ball gun is built on a GI Colt S-80 frame with a 5" Wilson Match barrel, BowMar sights.

I don't shoot EIC's anymore, unless I'm, looking for a little extra practice time on the line. I'm double Distinguished - Service Pistol/ Service Rifle.

I have plenty of back-ups for all the shooting disciplines and typically share some of my extra gear with folks who don't have their own (Pistols, boxes, spotting scopes, etc.).

R,
Bullseye

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:30 am

22's from most preferred to rarely used.
Ruger MK II hybrid; blued lower-5 1/2" slab side SS upper w/ 1"Ultra Dot
this one has a sweet short roll trigger.
Ruger MK II 5 1/2" blue w/ 1" Ultra Dot
Hi Standard Citation w/5 1/2" LSP Steel bbl w/1" Ultra Dot
I also use the factory 5 1/2" for open sight matches.
Hi Standard Citation w/ 5 1/2" LSP Lite bbl w/1" Ultra Dot
Marvel Conversion w/1" Ultra dot on my Springfield frame

CF & 45:
Springfield frame & slide w/ Kart bbl, clark trigger, king grip safety, Clark slide mount w/1" Ultra Dot.

Ball gun:
Essex Frame, national Match slide, Kart bbl, Bomar sights. and like Bullseye, since legging out, it doesn't see 100 rds/year and that's only because I loaned it to someone chasing leg points.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:07 pm

I have my Marvel conversion 22 on a dedicated Essex frame. Those 'E' frames are pretty inconsistent in their set-up indexing. I really had to special fit my internals just to get the sear and disconnector to work properly in that particular frame because of the pin hole tolerance variations. I've had a lot of problems with those Essex frames in the past and folks really like to use them a lot because they are relatively inexpensive. I like Caspian's, Colt's, and Springfield's slides and frames for building match guns.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 am

208s with CMM 45 type grip.
Very favorite too is Bob Marvel/Advantage Arms conversion. The Toyota made lower makes a big difference.

45 wad gun made by Toyota. Ultradots all around.

Ditto Toyota for HB

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

I have a Ruger Mk III 22/45, maybe four months old which I use for Bullseye, indoor 50 ft. Had a new S&W 41, which is a very fine gun. Good quailty and shot small groups but I could not shoot it as good as a ruger. I know it seems I'm working backwards but......I don't know if it was the grip angle or what.
So I have U/D 1in. on top of the Ruger. Just start a couple of leagues and I'll start posting the results.
Mark II

ronn

Re: Bullseye shooters, what guns are you using ?

Post by ronn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 pm

You have some nice equipment. I use Mark II and S&W 41 for rimfire, Kimber Gold Match and Target Match for .45. Around here Marvels are slowly replacing Hammerli and S&W on the .22 line. Colt 70's seem to still be the favorite 1911/.45.

woody57

Post by woody57 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:48 pm

.22 Ruger Mklll Target 6 7/8 tapered barrel Bushnell Trophy Red Dot

CF and .45 Les Baer P ll with UD30

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:05 pm

I shoot Ruger MKIII with a 1 inch Ulradot. It has a trigger job done by one of the members at my club, right at 2 lbs. Also it has a Clark over sized hammer pin and bushing with a Volquartsen trigger.