New LaserLyte Training Aid

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

New LaserLyte Training Aid

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:54 pm

LaseLyte now has a laser that fits into your barrel that is activated by an inertia switch. http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Training ... /LT-1.html. It can also be used as a Bore Siting tool too, by just removing the inertia unit and installing the supplied (larger) batteries. This seams to be a great tool if you can not make it to the range. It's perfect for beginners and experienced shooters too. Particularly if you have a new gun and your not sure on the grips and/or trigger reach. Surprisingly it's putting the laser when my normal POI is, (not where I'm aiming :? ) Looks like I may need to change triggers in my 229.

I highly recommend it. What I do not know is how hard it's going to be on these small watch batteries. I checked the ones shipped with the unit and they did not indicate they were fresh batteries. But the unit is working just fine. Now if it can just get my right eye to settle down. Looks like I may try to switch to a lefty. My left eye is my best, astigmatism is not near as bad.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 am

That's a neat idea! However, for target shooting I am not sure of its usefulness. When target shooting, one wants to keep their focus on the front sight throughout the execution of the shot, and if you are indeed focusing on the front sight that would make it difficult to see a laser blip that only lasts for a fraction of a second.

Even if one is able to clearly see the laser blip on the target while focusing on the front blade, he/she may start to get used to looking for immediate feedback on their shots. This would likely carry over to actual range time, and peeping over your sights to see your shots will open up your groups a good bit.

I suppose you could get a friend/family member to call your shots, but that seems a bit impractical. I think the money spent on this item could perhaps be of better use if it was put towards a decent air/spring pistol.

I do think it is a bit more useful if you are practicing for IDPA or other speed disciplines.

Despite my opinion, it is really neat, and as you said it can be used as a bore-sight and it is about the same price as most decent bore-sights.

Thanks for sharing!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:09 am

The blink seams to last for 1-2 sec, long enough for you to see impact. If your doing any dry fire practice, I think you would benefit from this tool. Unless you shoot a perfect score every time you go out. In that case you can not improve on perfection. But for most of us and someone new to the sport, will like this training aid. It will help them in dry fire practice to learn the proper technique. As you know if your just learning it takes about 10000 repeats before it becomes a memory reflex. But if your memory reflex is wrong then you have a bigger problem of braking a bad habit. Now if I can find a target that will beep or light up it would be fun for kids to learn on... They seam to like things like that to keep their attention.

If you want to learn to point shoot this would be a lot cheaper than shooting a lot of ammo.

As far as seeing sights, not all of us can with aging eyes. So we concentrate on the target and hoping that the blur in front of our eyes is pointed where is should be.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 am

Those are good points, Blue. I suppose a newer shooter might even be wary of practicing with an air/spring pistol because if they miss the BB trap it could damage their home (if they are practicing indoors).
blue68f100 wrote: Now if I can find a target that will beep or light up it would be fun for kids to learn on... They seam to like things like that to keep their attention.
Blue, that's an amazing idea! You could have the same LaserLyte setup except it shoots some sort of infrared beam at a target with receptors, and then an LED on the target could mark where you hit. Basically the same thing they use with laser-tag except A LOT more receptors on the target.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm going to hit my neighbor up on the idea and see what he says. He's a EE and may know of an easy way to do it.

LaserLyte also makes a Pro model of this, does not stick out the end but a bare minimum. $100 I could see this would be better if you wanted to draw practice.

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Training ... T-PRO.html
David

Custom Built 1911