Rem HBWC vs Speer or Hornady

A section to discuss marksmanship issues: techniques, equipment, experiences, etc.

Also, a place to ask marksmanship related questions to seek information from the vast knowledge base of this forum's membership.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Rem HBWC vs Speer or Hornady

Post by bebloomster » Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 am

Have been looking for 38 cal 148gr HBWC bullets in bulk. The Remington version generally seems to run about half the price of the Speer or Hornady ones (when you can find any at all of any brand). Is there really all that much of a difference in quality? Do the Remingtons generally perform as well as the Speer or Hornady bullets when flush seated with the usual 2.8 gr Bullseye or equivalent loads?
A day without sunshine is like..... night.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I generally see Rem at Midway and Cabalas.

But to save you some more money check these out.

http://www.montanagoldbullet.com/ Price quoted is to your door +$5 if residence.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/
These are the same price as plated and great for practice ammo. The price quoted is to your door.

I shoot a lot of Barry's platted for practice. If your not pushing the loads thse are probably the best when it comes to platted bullets. You can load them as lead and up to mid range of a std jacketed bullet.

All are cheaper than the ones your looking at.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ronn

Re: Rem HBWC vs Speer or Hornady

Post by ronn » Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Barry's bullets have served me great. I use to use them exclusive until their huge price increase, which sent me to cast lead bullets. When used with clean burning powder leave pistols extremely clean. Accuracy is all I desire. I found it cheapest to buy them from Cabela's in the past. Now just too expensive for the amount of shooting I do.
Ronn

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Fri May 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Ordered 2000 of the 148gr HBWC from Precision Delta... $140 delivered. That's less than half the price my local Mom & Pop gun shop was charging for the exact same bullet.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 am

Lets do the math. That means you get to shoot twice as much when you go to the range now. .... :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat May 22, 2010 9:31 am

blue68f100 wrote:Lets do the math. That means you get to shoot twice as much when you go to the range now. .... :D
Sounds about right to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Sat May 22, 2010 12:06 pm

blue68f100 wrote:Lets do the math. That means you get to shoot twice as much when you go to the range now. .... :D
Nope... just means that I have more bullets available at any given time. I still go to the range twice a week and shoot a 900 each time. Well.... I wish it was a 900... actually it is more in the 750-760 range.

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Found a fly in the ointment with those Precision Delta 148gr HBWC bullets. Precision Delta uses what seems to be a wax/graphite mix for a lube. Doesn't take long for it to start building up on the seating plug thereby causing the bullet to be seated progressively deeper into the case. Didn't figure it out until had a round come out of the seating die with a 1/8" thick "graphite plug" on the nose of it.

Guess those 2000 bullets I just received from Precision Delta will be going back. Remington seems to be out of the running for pretty much the same reason. Looks like Sierra is what I will be looking for in the future... or was it Speer?

bebloomster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by bebloomster » Sat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Looks like I owe Precision Delta an apology... it wasn't their bullets at all !!! Turned out to be a build-up of old waxy bullet lube (Rooster Red) that had been there for who knows how long. Then when loading the graphite coated Precision Delta bullets that plug of wax got covered with graphite making it look like a solid graphite plug when it came loose.

As Kelly Bundy would say "Urethra... I've found it !!!".... a real simple solution. I use one of the Lyman 6-hole turret presses so just set up a separate seat/crimp die for the Delta Precision hollow base wadcutters. Will use a different seat/crimp die for the greasy lubed cast double ended wadcutters.

Should solve the problem quite nicely.

Once again, my apologies to the good folk over at Precision Delta.